8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » B&H lamp conversion?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B&H lamp conversion?
Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2007 06:50 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck in converting a projector lamp from the old incandecent bulbs to a quartz halogen type lamp, I have a B&H 631 that uses the 750 to 1kw bulbs, and am keen on having a go and changeing it to a bulb similar to by 16CL machine uses (24v 250w)
Thanks
Patrick

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2007 10:49 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I converted some old Eiki MS-860 series from the old DDB lamp to EJL lamps. The EJL lamp must be located so that the front of the rim of the lamp matches the distance on your CL. That's where the light is focused since there is no condensor, etc.

You have to remove all the old condensor/reflector parts and then install a lamp holder for the EJL lamp. You also need to come up with a line voltage to 24 volt transformer. If you find a 16CL or Eiki RT/ST parts machine, you can take the transformer and lamp holder from that for your conversion. You'll need to be able to drill and tap accurately for the position of the lamp holder and then wire the transformer into your existing run/lamp circuit.

John

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2007 04:29 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John
Thanks for the reply.
I will have ago and see what happens, these machines have a tube like lamphouses where the bulb goes in from the bottom, A guy I know has done it using a 24v 250w lamp and gutting a eiki machine to get the lmapholder and transformer from it, he said the light output is increased about 30%, he has also converted the amp from tube to transistor wich I am also going to have a go at.
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Jeff Taylor
Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2007 02:44 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick, I can't remember the exact ANSI code, but rather than the 24v model you can get a 300w 120v model used in the SSL-OL Eiki's and avoid the transformer. The bulb envalope is the same as is the filament spacing. (OOPS-just noticed you are in the UK, so 120v won't do you much good. Sorry)

--------------------
Jeff

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC