8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Eiki SL-0 question/ Graflex question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eiki SL-0 question/ Graflex question
Alex Encelewski
Junior

- posted September 26, 2007 12:44 PM      Profile for Alex Encelewski   Email Alex Encelewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new with projectors and I have a few questions-

I just bought an Eiki slot load II. It seems to run well, but it has some difficulty on larger reels; the bottom look goes taut and ruins the sound (it warbles and makes a clip-clip-clip sound). Looking through google groups, I've seen people mention something about film lubrication- how would I go about this?

Lately, I found a Singer-Graflex Instaload 16 at a garage sale to play these reels- they seem to run through mostly without a problem- but is this considered a good projector?

Thanks,
Alex

[ September 26, 2007, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Alex Encelewski ]

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2007 03:12 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello welcome the only thing i hace heard bad about the Singer-Graflex Instaload 16 is their clutches they can out and the machine is a nice door stop i have one and like the focus on them better than the other slot load it is clearer from corner to corner, so to say I think they are good machines.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2007 04:18 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
On your Eiki SL-0, is the problem when you use a large 2000 metal reel or just when any reel is filled with film? Do you have the sound problem always or only on full reels?

If it's the latter, try the following maintenance: Removed the take up arm cover. Inside you'll find a flat belt. Note which color side is up. Now release the spring loaded roller so you can remove the belt and clean it with a suitable solution (I think even simple green would work for this). Clean all the surfaces that the belt contacts in the arm, then re-install the belt. The surfaces must be clean in order to provide the proper amount of slip. As the reel gets heavier with film, it presses down more on the belt and there is more tension applied, but you also need more slip since the reel is turning slower.

See if that help, otherwise we'll also have to work backwards thru the number two sprocet and thru the sound pick up to make sure you have a loop and that the tension roller is riding free and midway in its travel.

The graflex is a good projector if it's clean and lubed properly. But watch out for machines that were beat up as school projectors. The Eikis are just easier to find nowdays and thus easier to get a spare for parts.

John

Alex Encelewski
Junior

- posted September 28, 2007 09:54 AM      Profile for Alex Encelewski   Email Alex Encelewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears to be on the larger reels. It will go fine for the first 50 feet or so, then the film just seems to jump around even when I turn it back on again. I don't see any splices or anything.

The smaller reels that I have (all these films came with the projector) seem to work okay - I guess they came from syndication because they have a yellow leader between the films, sometimes the projector jams up on that. When the bottom loop gives out there's a roller that catches it (there is a red dot on it) that snaps back and forth, I think that's where the clipping sound seems to be coming from.

I had a few silent reels around (about 400ft) that seemed to have no problem at all. That's why I wonder if it's the film or the projector's fault.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2007 12:29 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
This can be any number of things. To see if it's the projector or a problem with the take up system: Cut a piece of film about three feet long and splice it into a loop. Now run that loop with the cover off the lamp house and observe for any problem.

If you loose the upper or lower loop with this test loop, then we need to look at the claw and cam tank. If not and the sound is stable and picture steady, then the problem is likely with the take up belts or something associated with it.

Do you have any problems with rewinding? Such as slowing down?

John

Alex Encelewski
Junior

- posted October 01, 2007 03:22 PM      Profile for Alex Encelewski   Email Alex Encelewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran the film through and it went through without a problem. It does slow down a bit when it rewinds, but still makes a full revolution in less than a second. I'll check out the belt.

Thanks for all the information!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC