8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » What's Your Favourite Projector?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's Your Favourite Projector?
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 03:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting to ask members for their favourite 16mm projector, and why?

I own Bell & Howells, Elmos, Elfs, and [Bauer made] Rank Aldis. My favourite is the Bell & Howell TQI, model 655QE (Quartz Economy). It has been fitted with the A1/259 lamp conversion.

It has a good two-position lamp setting, and superb (valve) sound with high output when using two B & H 12" speakers in parallel.

I use this, and its brother, for all shows given in halls and club locations.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 07:17 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the TQIs I have (I own about 5) are great and they look fine too...I often get comments when out and about doing shows "they look great!". They are a devil to service & swap the worm-gear, however, they will last and last once that's done.

The 666 looks like the TQI but sits on it's own power pack and uses the MARC 300 arc lamp. Outstanding illumination, but the lamp is costly and has a short life for it's cost. So, if you want Xenon illumination, it needs to be an Elf 2000A or 2000N; not as kind to film as the previous B & H machines, but a long life from the lamp and fantastic contrast from the projected image.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 12:01 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, I guess we are only allowed one choice.

Therefore it would have to be the Elmo 16-CL.

But before I go, let me say that for sheer nostalgia and for a connoisseur of machinery, the Ampro Stylist Major Mk 2 wins hands down.

If I am screening films alone, or with very close friends or family, it's the Ampro; but for visitors I use the Elmo, as it's more modern and quieter, though many have expressed more than a passing interest in the Ampro.

Maurice, please don't ask for favourite Standard 8 projectors. That really would be difficult - for me, at least!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 12:16 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave

Only one answer! Bell & Howell 606H.

--------------------
Maurice

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 04:09 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I had a B/H 642 built like a tank and very reliable.

Graham. [Smile]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 08, 2008 01:01 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One choice, definitely the Elmo CL range. I have the Deluxe version (magnetic and optical, electronic push buttons, remote control). Wish I could get a CX (350 or 550 xenon lamp) but as I'm currently improving my 35mm installation with Dolby and DTS, this will have to wait.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2008 11:46 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had many 16mm projectors in the past Bell & Howell, Bauer (one of my favorites) Eiki/Elfs, Singer (very kind on film) oh and the big green monsters Siemens.

But the one i have really stuck my guns too is a Fumeo X900 professional long playing machine indeed. Like it alot and the sound quality is crisp and fresh and loud and the quality is second to none, no plastic parts here! [Wink]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 08, 2008 02:01 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a nice machine, Robert.

Got any pics of that?

-Mike

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2008 03:09 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm now running an Elf RM,It's a late brown in colour model lovely and quiet with a nice bright picture.I recently bought a late TQ3 Bell & Howell although it's a great machine i'm selling it on as i find them just that bit too noisey...Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2008 04:52 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elmo 16CL for me for reliability
Ampro Stylist and a BTH for looks [Smile]
and a Kelvin Challenger for my guilty pleasure [Big Grin]
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 09, 2008 01:21 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too use an RM-1 - Brown model. Best projector I've ever used and I'm sticking with it!!!!
[Smile]

-Mike

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2008 04:44 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do I detect another Ampro enthusiast in our midst, in the form of Patrick?

Excellent!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2008 06:42 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on what I own, and what I have used earlier, the Eiki SSLs in general, and the 3500 Xenon model in particular, strike me as both user-and-maintenance friendly, and as quality projectors with a steady image and good sound output.

The 3500, with its 350W Xenon, blows away the regulars, of course, but it's the same easy slot-loading design that make both threading and cueing (rocking the reels) so hassle-free. And cleaning the path is also a charm, due to the open design.
Not to mention the luxury of being able to remove a print safely mid-stream, if desired.

I have fond memories of the 'Green Monsters' from B & H, and the Kodak Pageant as well, both used in school settings, but I am glad I settled on Eikis.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2008 07:52 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are more of us out here than you think! I have an Ampro Stylist and it is THE best machine I have used in over fifty years.Smooth and silent.A proper projector.
Oh! yeah,I suppose my TQIII mag/opt will do on occasions.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 10, 2008 09:16 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projectors from my youth are surfacing.

Anyone got a Victor, a Debrie, a Carpenter, a BTH, an L516 or even a Danson?

--------------------
Maurice

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 10, 2008 12:59 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Debrie MB15 from 1939. Probably the easiest machine around to disassemble and to put back together. It's now in running order but I don't use it. It proudly stands at the entrance of my home cinema.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2008 04:10 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an Ampro Stylist Major that I have been told was the best of the Ampro machines and there last 16mm machine they made, I also have a Ampro Premier 20 the one that looks like a sausage dog! [Smile]
I have a VICTOR Greyline Mk2 in the nice wooden case with the dark green covering on it, a real nice machine and still runs good but it does not like sound film to much as the valve amp cant get enough volume.
Another machine I have is a GB L516 WW2 era machine with a 12" speaker box with the wooden GB grill on the front, and a Australian made CINEVOX machine with seperate amp and speaker box. Have never fired these up due to their age and the are both missing their 240v to 110v transformers.

Another machine I like is my B&H 631 it has never missed a beat and still runs well after all these years, and by B&H 606H 8mm silent machine.
Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 11, 2008 01:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat

The GB L516 runs on mains voltage and only requires a resistance for the 110v 500w lamp. The 12" speaker case holds the HT smoothing choke due to the restricted space in the projector. This is why the speaker lead is four-core.

A very old 16mm joke is:- "Have you got an exciter lamp for a GB L516?". This joke could also be used for the Debrie D16.

--------------------
Maurice

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2008 01:39 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice
Yes that is a good joke [Big Grin]
Pat

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 11, 2008 03:33 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat

This is quite true. Quite a few years ago the lamps which many projectors used including the Debrie D16 were made with black tops to minimise light spill through the top of the lamphouse.

Apparently many Debrie owners reported loss of sound!

If this comment isn't clear to some members please post a reply asking for clarification.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC