8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » How to measure the real speed ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to measure the real speed ...
Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2008 01:05 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my 16mm ELMO doesn't run at 24fps but It seems to run slower ... Is there a simple method to measure the real speed in such a case?

Thanks
Flavio

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2008 01:33 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
What I do is cut a loop of leader exactly 18 feet long and mark an X on one frame. Then I run the loop and with a stop watch start it on the flash of the X on the screen and let it run for 10 passes. Since film runs at 36 feet per minutes, 18 feet run for 30 second and ten passes should be five minutes. Any error on the stop watch can be figured back to exact frames per second. You can use any size loop and count any number of passes. The longer you let it run, the more accurate your measurement will be. The projector should be warmed up to operating temp before you start (run a cartoon or other short first).

John

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2008 07:08 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Optical, digital speed meters are nowadays resonable priced.
You hold them in front of lens, projection bulb turned
on, if bulb his provided with preheating, that works fine, too.
Price for speed meter ist appox. 28,-Eur/ 40,-US$

If you have a second 16mm projector and you are sure itīs running with correct speed, then you can put both machine in line. Now you feed film through 1st maschine (24f/sec.) with an acceptable loop into second machine (unknown speed). Start both projectors at same time and watch loop between both projectors.
If loop gets smaller, second projector ist running too fast. If it gets larger, second projector ist running too slow.
If you can adjust running speed of second projector, adjust until loop size stays constant.

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2008 03:01 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! I will try both methods, even if, when discovered that it runs slowly, I don't know what to do!!!

Flavio

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2008 08:42 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
If machine runs slow:
1. Check drive belt--slippage with an old worn belt common
2. Check dirt on drive pulley--dirt causes slippage
3. Check lubrication though out drive train. Often a bind in take up can work back to loading down projector
4. Bad or failing motor
5. Voltage problems. Most 16mm projectors have induction motors which operate over a wider voltage flucation but are very sensitive to hertz changes. If projector was set up for a 60hz country, then the pulleys either need to be changed or the belt needs to be moved to other pulley position. Projector would run fast with 50hz pulley in a 60hz country.

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC