8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16CL Amplifier Problem?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16CL Amplifier Problem?
Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2008 04:58 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 16CL has started playing up - just after I'd changed the rollers [Frown] .

When turning the amp on there's a loud pop and the fuse blows. I've taken the machine apart and there's nothing obviously wrong. Before I start trying to trace the circuit board are there any known faults in this area?

thanks
Stewart

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 19, 2008 01:38 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing round the rollers which would cause this unless the exciter lamp has blown and shorted or one of the wires to the lamp has been trapped.

What does cause this to happen most often is the Output IC failing. I have seen that happen if there is a short on the LS wires or on an extension speaker.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2008 04:48 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good call Kev. I traced the fault to the output IC shorting. (A big thanks to whoever posted the circuit diagrams onto the manuals page.)

I've been unable to trace a direct replacement, so in the interim I've taken a feed from the pre-amp out to an external socket which can be plugged into an amplifier.

To be honest this is how I prefer using the machine 90% of the time. For the 10% where the internal speaker is required I can just use a pair of cheap computer speakers.

Stewart

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 21, 2008 05:58 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Stewart, These guys in Germany seem to have that IC in stock.

http://darisusgmbh.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=15176&language=en

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC