8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » B&H model numbers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B&H model numbers
Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2008 10:00 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I just not seeing things right or are there actually different model numbers for B&H machines as sold in the USA and the UK? For example, US websites don't seem to carry any mention of 601, 631, 640 etc. Is there a list of equivelants anywhere?
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2008 11:13 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct - the US and UK model #s are different.

I don't know anything about the UK models, so I can't help you match them up I'm afraid...

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2008 11:57 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the USA, a few of the earlier models were totally different in appearance to the same UK ones. For example, the 655, had a very thin base, which didn't contain the amplifier, whereas the UK version had a thicker base with the amp inside. Model numbers varied; the 666 UK machine (utilising the MARC 300 lamp) was numbered 566 in the USA, and again, each USA machine looked different to the UK model.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 13, 2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reply only refers to the wooden case "blimp" models. I cannot swear that it is completely accurate. but I've done my best!

179 1945-1949 601
185 1949-1951 621
202 1952-1955 630
285 1954-1955 631
302 1963-1965 640
385 1955-1965 636

--------------------
Maurice

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2008 03:27 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
We're there some UK versions of the 302 with a transistorized amp? There was one USA 8399 which was the "specalist" version of the 385 which had a transistor amp and was actually made in Japan. I don't know if any of the 385 series machines in the UK were make in Japan but at some point B&H sent all the tooling to Japan for that line of projectors from Chicago. At one time the UK versions were make by Rank if memory serves me.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 16, 2008 02:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

I have an 8636 (1975) which was made in Japan, it's AC/DC and multi-voltage. It's the blimp model, "Maritime".

It has a photo-diode sound pick-up and the amp is both transistors and valves. The sound is superb but the light isn't so good as it uses UK mains voltage lamps.

However, it runs well and I use it occasionally.

Bell & Howells were made in the UK up to the early sixties. They were made by Rank and when their licence ran out Rank turned to German Bauer for projectors which were badged "Rank Aldis".

--------------------
Maurice

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2008 10:14 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will this help.
http://paulivester.com/films/projector/bh_models.htm

--------------------
Regards,
David

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC