8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » HELP! Damage - melting roller , ELMO 16-CL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP! Damage - melting roller , ELMO 16-CL
Gareth Dressler
Junior

- posted October 18, 2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Gareth Dressler   Author's Homepage   Email Gareth Dressler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a ELMO 16-CL optical, which is in great shape. Only on fully looking it over for cleaning have found that one or two of the soft rubber rollers are damaged, one has 2 deep rub marks where it is sort of rubbed/melting. A roller below is ok, but you can tell the same thing would happen if you would touch it or try to clean it.
You can actually rub the rubber off the roller like soft melted rubber just by touching it with your finger.

Do they do this? or did the person who owned it, when cleaning maybe got some cleaner spay inside it and on the rollers causing the "melt down" decay?

This is my fist 16mm projector and I sure don't want to sour the experience anymore by running film through it and ruining the film as well.

Does anyone know where I can get rollers for this machine? I am counting on all your expert advice as I am first timer newbie.

|  IP: Logged

Gareth Dressler
Junior

- posted October 18, 2008 08:41 PM      Profile for Gareth Dressler   Author's Homepage   Email Gareth Dressler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found 2 sellers of a 4 roller kit for this, so I ordered some up and hope to have it running soon.
Thanks for all the help [Wink] ha ha...

[ October 19, 2008, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Gareth Dressler ]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 19, 2008 03:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gareth

See my posting immediately below yours on this very topic.

This, unfortunately, is what happens to this projector's rollers over time. There are two solutions, one as you have done is to fit a new roller set. The other is to re-rubber the existing metal rollers.

This is an excellent projector and the replacement rollers should give it a new life for many years to come.

--------------------
Maurice

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2008 06:05 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gareth,

I had the same problem a few months back. If you refer to this posting you'll find out where to get the replacement rubber from and some tips on how I went about replacing them.

(To remove the old ones I cut as much off as possible with a scalpel and then soaked them in meths to remove the residue.)

Stewart

Gareth Dressler
Junior

- posted October 19, 2008 01:43 PM      Profile for Gareth Dressler   Author's Homepage   Email Gareth Dressler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice & Stewart
I happened to order what you did Stewart, from the same fellow. So I am in for the same thing you were. I was wondering how the one came apart, now I know. Thanks. [Smile]

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 12:03 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the previous owner used Vitafilm on his prints and didn"t dry them properly,that could have caused the problem,although I had a Elmo ST800 projector that the drive belt melted without running it.Go figure!

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC