8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » My "New" 642

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My "New" 642
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 30, 2008 11:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just taken delivery of a "new" Bell & Howell 642. As members will know this model dates from around 1962.

My service engineer used four scrap projectors (plus a brand-new animation worm) to construct this beauty. The sound from the valve amplifier is far superior to the later transistorised Bell & Howell amps.

The normal lamp used is the A1/207 Truflector (amongst others). I would like to fit the later A1/242 (1000w 240v) lamp as its light is more white.

I am asking if any members have these lamps for sale.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 30, 2008 11:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice
The B/H 642 is a really good solid projector and was my first 16mm projector. I think it has a 3 bladed shutter ideal for home movies and transfers to video. I have just looked through my box of old lamps but cant find any, must have given them away at the time the projector was sold, however I am trying to think back that there was a mod to replace those large 750/1000watt lamps with a 24/250 watt reflector type the article was in an old "Movie Maker" will see if I can find it, certainly those large lamps draw a lot of current and put out quite a bit of heat, I remember that.

Regards Graham.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 31, 2008 03:47 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham

With the weather we've been having lately the 1000 watt lamp makes the space around the projector quite cosy!

I have a large stock of the A1/207 Truflector lamps, both in 240 volts and 115 volts. I have a separate Bell & Howell transformer for the latter. As you know the projector has a four-pin plug which will feed the two different voltages direct to the lamp (not via the operating switch.)

Thanks for your offer to find the Movie Maker mod. However, I would not wish to spend any more money on the 642.

I also have two 655QE projectors which both have the useful conversion to use the A!/259 lamp.

--------------------
Maurice

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 06:51 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the 642 was also my first 16 mm projector. I found the lamp house/lamp holder mount subject to excessive vibrations, something I figured didn't help the lamps last very long! I think I paid £35 for mine (secondhand) and it served me very well, all through univerisity. Eventually, I upgraded to the TQIs with halogen lamps. B & Hs are the best and kindest to all film. Elfs are fine (and easier to service by far) but the B & H are more refined. And after servicing/repairing dozens of 'em, I think I'm qualified to say.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC