8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Sound on One's Own 16mm Films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sound on One's Own 16mm Films
Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2009 05:18 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many, many moons ago I used to make short films on Standard and Super 8. (Even entered Screen Test for those in the UK old enough to remember that.) Then I moved onto video and was blown away with editing on the computer and what could be done with After Effects.

Anyway, an old friend from those days was round last week and I was showing him my 16mm projection gear. He got me thinking that I should really have a go at actually shooting some 16mm.

My problem is, how to deal with the sound? Should I look to get a magnetic projector and use striped film? (How does one stripe 16mm these days? Can it even still be done?) Or should I look into some form of synchronisation mechanism - but does that mean I need to get a reel to reel tape machine?

Any pointers appreciated.

Stewart

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2009 01:43 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think EVT Magnetics still stripe film (including 16mm I think). A number of Bauer 16mm projectors have magnetic record on them (I have one). And some top end Eiki/Elf have Magnetic record on them as well (slimline SNT3) but most only have Magnetic Playback.

hope this helps.

Graham S

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2009 01:27 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham

Alan Paterson
Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2009 03:24 AM      Profile for Alan Paterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a Bell & Howell TQ111 with OPt/Magnetic sound.
Alan

--------------------
If God had meant us to run, we'd have been born with spikes in our feet.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 02, 2009 07:58 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might take a while to track down a projector with recording capabilities; I can't recall ever seeing one on offer at a film collecting event, and I haven't even noticed one on eBay. I expect the numbers produced were a very small fraction of the numbers of playback only projectors.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2009 08:30 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bauer P5 with mag-sound-recording (and mag/opt-playback):
http://kinotechnikrinser.de/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1392&category_id=221&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=211

Thomas Powys-Keck
Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Thomas Powys-Keck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not buy an Auricon cinevoice,you can get magnetic(i have two)or you can get optical sound(i have one)All three work fine,i sometimes use other methods of recording and transfer it to 16mm tape,i then use my double band projector which will automatically syn sound and picture.Its a much better picture than video.
Regards Tom.

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2009 09:44 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree that double band projectors are a nice way to go. You can erase/rerecord the sound, you could create a very busy soundtrack on a computer in Final Cut Pro, or some such program, export it to your double band projector and synch it up to picture. My only complaint with these projectors is they weigh a ton. But sound and picture quality can be excellent.

Cheers
Lars

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC