8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » P7 green auto thread thingy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: P7 green auto thread thingy
Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2009 02:20 PM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I have recently accuired a P7 in fair condition.
I'm wondering about the green auto thread thingy with "2" written on it. When I push it down the mashin threads the film ok. but the thingy does not pop back up. How do I get it to do that? A short test run revealed some jitter and noise while running and i suspect the loop to be the problem and I was ecpecting that green thing to pop back up so I suspect it's the culprit.

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 14, 2009 02:29 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also had problems with this on my P8 which I could never solve. In the end the jitter became intolerable and nobody could figure out what was wrong. Sometimes that green lever worked OK, and then it would get stuck again. Became a real nuisance. I could find noone in the UK who worked on Bauers. In Norway perhaps you'll have better luck.

-Mike

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2009 02:09 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... well it seems to be working again after I talked hard to it.. but the belt broke..

How do you change the belt on these? is it difficult?

Also I can only find manuals in German. Are there any english service and or user manuals out there?

cheers.

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2009 01:09 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone is searching. This site has tons on info on bauers and others http://www.olafs-16mm-kino.de/
Manuals and even the service manuals! Yay!!
Probably has been mentioned before here and maybe the guy is a member also?

Cheers

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2009 04:01 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Threading film on Bauer P6, P7, P8 should be done in sequence from 1 to 6. The green button (on earlier maschines black) is marked with "2" and "6" is focus knob
When film runs out (10cm to 25cm) at back stop projector and gently tear film backwards (horizontal) until green button jumps into top position again.
Thatīs the Bauer secret. :-)
If you are trained to do it right, you will tear on film whilst projector is still running. You stop projector when sufficiant film has run through to wind it onto back reel.

Info: Tearing on film start will move black film roller backwards in tearing direction. This does release green knob.
The black film roller I mentioned is located at intrance of the horizontal film path, approx. 5cm underneath lower hinge of lens holder.
If still in doubt, remove door (cover) on P7 or P8, or complete lens holder on P6, and watch movement of roller, when you tear film backwards. You can also push that roller backwards with your finger tip (without film) in order to release green button.

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2009 01:58 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, Josef. I kind of understood there must have been some sort of mechanism like that, and now I know where to look for it.

btw, I got a new belt from Wittner only days after I ordered it and replaced the old broken one.
Regretfully there is a page or two missing from the service manual on the site in the link in my other post here, so the two last points on how to change the belt was describe, but without pics. The text refers to removing the fan and the pics for this are missing. Anyway, I was able to replace it (solved the fan problem) and cleaned and lubed it.

It runs very smooth and what strikes me is that almost every super 8 or 8mm projector I have had there has been some ratteling, but from this there is almost only the noise of the fan.

I projected some 1954 -Trip to Paris Kodachrome on the wall and it's so awesome! I cant wait to see what's on the other reels we have. this is great!.

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2009 06:42 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that your projector is still in very good working condition. In order to keep it in good condition, make sure that grease tank contains fresh grease (almost white color, no yellowish, or brown apperance, no breaks, slots in grease visible)
There can used approx. 15% of oil-content of grease, only.
Replacement with special white Bauer-Grease, only.
If you canīt get it, we could supply you with almost all Bauer spares.
Most Super 8 Projectors of Bauer have a plastic cam and plastic parts at claw mechanism which are in friction together. Here very good greaseing with a further special Bauer-grease (not the white grease) is very important.
Otherwise you can ruin projector within 10 full lenght movies.
Plastic on both sites had been choosen to minimise noise, as most projectors are used in private rooms and not in a separate booth, projecting through a window.
As soon as wear takes place the framer will reach itīs limit (end stop). Donīt try to add more forces at end stop af framer as a plastic pin will break.
If your S8 projector is already rattling the claw mechanism and perhaps the cam has to be replaced.

All Bauer 16mm P5, P6, P7, P8 have cam made from steel and plastic parts on claw mechanism.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC