8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » EJL vs. ELC for older Elf/Eiki 16mm projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EJL vs. ELC for older Elf/Eiki 16mm projectors
Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2009 12:47 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This question had been done to death with regards to using 250w ELCs in the GS1200, the vast majority of informed opinion being that it is a bad idea due to potential damage to the transformer.

My question relates to the older Elf machines that were designed originally to use the 200w EJL, and whether or not using an ELC is advisable. I was trawling through the archives of the forum looking for an answer, and came across a post by John Whittle saying that the only substantive design change to the Elfs when they moved on to the 250w lamps was an upgraded ceramic lamp base. Further posts by him and David Panell in the same thread mention the transformer design as being an auto-transformer, and that they are not susceptible to the same sort of damage that might occur to (for instance) a GS1200. The implication as I understand it was that there would be no problems with the higher wattage lamps in these machine.

So, can anyone give a definitive answer? Is it fine to put a 250w lamp in an older Elf machine marked as taking a 200w lamp? Is there any need to upgrade the ceramic base?

***EDIT*** Another thought occurs to me, if there is no problem using a 250w lamp, what would the theoretical limit be, assuming that there were any available with the correct fitting/capsule position etc. ***EDIT***

Bart

[ February 05, 2009, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Bart Smith ]

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2009 10:15 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never run into a problem using the 250w lamp. All the service parts for the lamp socket were upgraded to ceramic so when you replace it, you'll get the newer style which just handles the heat better.

As far as other wattages, I don't know of any which will fit/work in this design. Remember the reflector is designed to cover the 16mm frame at that exact distance which is a bigger problem than wattage. You could have much more wattage and get less light if it isn't focused to the 16mm aperature.

Your next step ..... xenon.

John

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC