8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm rewinds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm rewinds
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2009 08:46 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come rewinds go in the opposite direction when you turn it clockwise?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2009 08:46 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Because of the gearing. For most rewinds there is a gear on the handle and one on the shaft so as one is rotated, the other gear is engaged in the opposite direction.

Even the dual speed Filmo rewinds do this as well.

Since this became the standard on professional rewinds back in the early 1900s, it was never changed.

John

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2009 07:42 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except for the 16mm Elmo rewinds which I have, where the gearing is an internal planetary arrangement. This is where the teeth on the winding handle gear are on the inner edge of the large gear wheel, instead of being on the outer edge. Thus the driven gear turns in the same direction as the handle! Q.E.D.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC