8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Projex in Plymouth (Elf/Eiki)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projex in Plymouth (Elf/Eiki)
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 17, 2009 05:05 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projex in Plymouth had what must have been the UK's best stock of Eiki spares and projectors, so it's worrying that their website no longer seems to be operating. I wondered if Tom (as a Plymouth resident) or anyone else might know if they have shut down. The guy who ran it mentioned health concerns to me about 3 years ago, which might be the explanation. If they have closed, I hope someone buys all the spares as it would be terrible if they ended up in a skip.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Gillan
Junior

- posted May 18, 2009 05:34 AM      Profile for Christopher Gillan   Email Christopher Gillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian

Do you know where in plymouth projex was i will check out next time i am there.

Regards Chris

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2009 05:55 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He worked from a private house over in the Mountbatten? area. I'll try and locate his address from ACE back issues
EDIT: Last address I cvan find is ... 39, Abney (yes, ABNEY) Crescent, Roborough, Plymouth. PL6 6LH... Tel No.01752 214654.
This is from ACE Winter 2002 Issue.
Martin

[ May 18, 2009, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2009 10:06 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, please report back if you have success - he was a great guy to deal with, did a lovely job serving my Elf Xenon a few years back.

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2009 11:13 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke to him a few months ago - he'd been in hosp - but appeared to be intent on carrying on. Certainly hope so. David E

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 18, 2009 05:46 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies. The address mentioned by Martin was certainly correct 2-3 years ago. The proprietor's name is Bob Halls. I found him very helpful but he could be a bit eccentric in the sense that I know of at least 2 people who were keen to buy spares from him but never managed it, because Bob never got back to them to advise of availability and price, however many times they tried asking! He had the rare distinction of being able to regularly order new spares direct from Japan, and I suspect that he was the only person in the UK able to do this without going through the official UK Eiki agents (AVM Ltd).

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2009 06:21 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He told me that AVM had handed all dealngs with real film to him and he had spares and could order direct as they weren't interested. DE

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 19, 2009 07:53 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably a good thing if he's able to carry on, but not encouraging if he isn't. I did once manage to order something via AVM (a remote control for an Eiki ENT) when Bob thought he wouldn't be able to get one. I was told it was one of the last two left in the factory.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 04, 2011 09:06 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered if David (or anyone) has heard anything with regard to Projex/Bob Halls since the earlier posts here? Their phone number can still be found on one or two sites so I just tried ringing, but it has been disconnected. I hope Bob is OK. It would be bad news for UK Eiki owners if Projex has permanently shut down, as if AVM are not interested, I don't suppose there's anyone else in the UK who has a stock of spares or can order from Eiki.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 02, 2014 12:59 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't suppose anyone has heard anything else about Projex since the previous correspondence? If Bob Halls had to abandon any plans to continue the business, it would be very sad if his large stocks of Eiki spares ended up in a skip! Sad also that we've lost David Erskine, who shed some light on this.

Tom (if you read this): as a Plymouth man, did you ever visit the Projex premises? If so, was it some sort of workshop with a lot of visible projector spares?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC