8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Changeovers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Changeovers
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 30, 2009 05:07 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in how you chaps set up your projectors for changeovers to get even focus.
How far apart do you have the projectors?
I have a 22ft throw.

-Mike

|  IP: Logged

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2009 06:09 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried changeovers (with 1st a pair of Eiki-EX1500 and then a pair of B&H 666) but gave up when I realised that (my audiences) always expected a 'commercial break'! So mostly I show on 2x2200 ft reels - with a break for t&p and sometimes on 6000ft reels on my Eiki tower. Nothing to do with your query, however - but it does show I'm probably lazy!

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 30, 2009 06:54 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't like to break the atmosphere of a film once it gets going. T&p can be done between the shorts/ cartoons/ adverts reel and the main feature.

[Smile]

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2009 02:58 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done it two ways. Side by side with a distance of about 2 feet. And in a special "book shelf" set-up one above the other so slight difference in vertical keystone rather than horizantal problem. The latter seemed to work better for scope since the error top to bottom was less than side by side. About 12 foot wide scope screen. Pair of Eiki 3500s with factory dousers.

John

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 30, 2009 04:40 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
What throw distance did you have with the projectors 2ft apart and how was the image?

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2009 09:03 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Throw was 25 to 30 feet as I recall and the image was fine. You see a little size change switching scope due to the angle left right switching. I made up a test reel from an old tv show so I could switch back and forth and see the difference in the picture. Overall with the xenon lamps a good presentation.

John

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2009 11:18 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Prep for Changeover

Note: This is written for super 8 sound film. Starting at step 2, double all the measurements to convert for 16mm (i.e. in step 2 "3.5" becomes "7.0."). For placement of cues and distance only.

1. On the countdown leader, locate # 8 and make a white line, 2 inches long on the soundtrack side of the film. Mark on the picture area only, not the soundtrack.

2. At the tail end of the reel, locate the very last picture frame. Count in 3.5 inches and make another mark with the china marker. This time, you make it on the emulsion side, and make it half the length.

3. Count back 24 inches, and repeat step 2, making another white line.

4. When threading the reel, run the film down so the white line on the countdown leader is visible inside the top loop, above the film gate.

5. At 5 minutes before the changeover, turn on the fan, set volume output, and prepare for changeover.

6. Begin watching for the first cue (24 inches from tail end) on the screen. It will appear as a wipe, or glob taking up most of the screen image when it appears. When you see it, turn on the projector motor to forward mode.

7. Move your right hand to the lamp switch.

8. At the second cue (3.5 inches from tail) on screen, turn the lamp switch to the on position.

9. Immediately reach over and turn off the lamp to the projector shutting down.

10. If you use a sound changeover device, which we did not discuss, it becomes item 9 above, and item 9 becomes item 10 here on this instructions sheet.

11. On the tail end of the print, we place “cue” marks. These are center scratch on one frame only and they are roughly 27 inches apart. On the first cue, you start the motor and the film goes through the machine. On the second cue, you turn on the light and switch the sound. For a split second you have a double exposure of image. It is so brief that it is hardly noticeable. The double exposure continues, but the rest of it is on dark black (Fiesta Neumade) leader. You splice in about 20 seconds of this black leader giving you time to check frame, focus and sound on the reel that has just started. Then you reach around and turn off the light on the machine that had just ended.

With practice, you’ll get it. Your changeovers will become professionally done, and nobody in your audience should know what is going on in your projection booth.

Later on, you can replace the cue marks with small scratch dots in the center of the frames. It is easy to make the scratch, but it is a permanent one, and the white china marker can easily be wiped off with a clean dry cloth.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC