8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Eiki Sound problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eiki Sound problem
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2009 12:02 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need help.

I have an Eiki 3585, and the sound does not
come on until the machine has about 100 feet of
film on the take-up reel.

Suggestions please?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2009 08:48 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Need more information.

When you turn on the machine is the amp on?
Does the exciter lamp come on?
Can you hear sound if you use the aux input?

So in short is the amp on is this a time related problem.

First we need to find out if we have an electrical problem or a mechanical problem. So if you can check that out, we'll know where to look.

John

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2009 04:50 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can you hear sound if you use the aux input?
Hi John,

Yes, on the Eiki 3585, I can hear sound when using the aux input.

The amp is on, the exciter bulb is lighted.
Otherwise the sound from the film, does not come on for
about 150' into the film.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2009 04:31 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, since the amp and exciter lamp are up and ok then what we have to look at is the threading. You need to run the projector with the lamp cover off and observe how the film is tracking over the sound drum and optics. I'd hazard a guess that you'll see that it's wavering and finally droping into place as everything stabalizes. This could be due to a sticky roller or arm not going into position or riding off a sprocket and finally dropping into place. \

Check your film carefully that there isn't any damage and also check that the release for the auto-thread is releasing.

Do a manual load and watch the film and see if the sound comes up immediately.

But I think we can point this to a mechanical problem and not electronic.

John

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 01:38 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,

I have a few observations and questions to where we left off.

I followed your instructions and removed the screws and the front cover case on the
Eiki, and then manually threaded the machine.

To my surprise, when I forward projected the sound came on
and the film was tracking very well.

Is there something that I will not notice about the release for the auto-thread
and it releasing/not releasing? With these issues in mind, where should I go from here?

Also during the test I decided to see if there would be any change or mis-hap with the sound. So I had reverse projected - then waited, and then forward projected.

With this exercise there was not any additional problem with the sound, only that the machine made a loud squeaky - straining noise when I had reverse projected.

The film seemed as it flowed, but because of the noise I found it troubling.
Is this typical of the Eiki 3585?

--------------------
hobby that we love!

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 12:35 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector shouldn't make any noise in reverse. There is a switch that should cut off the sound when in reverse. It sounds like that switch is misadjusted or sticky--that could also be causing your problem in forward. When the projector threads and you pull on the leader to put it on the take up reel, it is supposed to release the threading mechanism. This pulls back the loop former and allows the claw to enter the film and it also sets the switch for the sound to on. If this is sticky then that could account for your delay and noise in reverse projection.

You'll have to take off the back cover of the machine and then by rotating the switch (without power applied) look at the action and follow the levers until you find the one that's connected to a microswitch that cuts the sound on and off. When you make sure that switch is operating freely I think you'll have cleared your problem.
John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC