8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » RCA Hollywood projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RCA Hollywood projector
Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2009 11:28 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is some pics of my latest buy an RCA "hollywood" 16mm projector.
I am amazed at how quiet the machine runs both with and without film.
 -

-

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2009 09:57 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
This was an extremely popular projector. In the USA it was the 400 series and came in different sizes with based on amp size, etc. There was a carbon arc model and well as a model with magnetic recording and playback. That model also would run in reverse. Towards the end of production, the machine was available with reverse projection and fold down arms. The felt lined take-up drum was an excellent design. The only fault was the breaking of the spring drive belts for the take-up or rewind and this could easily be "fixed" in the field to keep the show on the screen.

When RCA redesigned the projector for the model 1600, the tooling and design of the 400 was sold to a company in India which continued to produce the projector with numerous improvements such as a solid state amp and a solar cell sound pick-up. These were imported in the UK and other countries but I don't think they were ever sold in the US due to licensing agreements.
John

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2009 07:20 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John
Thanks for the info, my one is made in the Uk under licence by RCA America (so it says on the name plate)
I remember seeing in some MOVIE MAKER mage from the mid 80s and ad for a DIXI-TECH 16mm projector that is an exact look a like to the RCA except a small speaker mounted in the projector's cover.
Mine has a seperate speaker box with a 8" speaker and the take-up and feed arms are stored in this as well.
Gave it a good run last night.
Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2009 12:05 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
The one you saw in MOVIE MAKER was the machine made with the RCA factory dies by the company in India. From what I have heard, it was a well made machine.

John

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 03, 2012 10:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick
What form of drive from the motor is used in your UK made projector?

--------------------
Maurice

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2012 03:44 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice
The machine I have is a American made one, the drive is a toothed belt.

--------------------

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2012 09:31 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a RCA PG-201 that looks very similar to yours. It is a great running machine, very easy on film.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 02:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick

Many thanks for your prompt reply. However, I am slightly bemused by your comment that your projector "is an American made one."

On the 9th July 2009 you said "My one is made in the UK under licence by RCA America (or so it says on the name plate.)"

Perhaps you could kindly explain.

Maurice

[ October 04, 2012, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Maurice Leakey ]

--------------------
Maurice

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2012 07:40 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice, Yes it is made in the UK sorry, we also had a projector made here called a Kelvin Challenger which is a copy of the RCA projector with some slight mods, actually the sprockets and claw/cam units came out from RCA with the rest of the machine being made here by Kelvin & Cuff Ltd in Auckland.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 09:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Patrick.
I love a happy ending!

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC