8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » B&H 535 sound problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B&H 535 sound problem
Bobby Briggs
Junior

- posted September 13, 2009 06:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Briggs   Email Bobby Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I have a B&H 535 16mm projector. The sound plays but it is not clear. I have tried different films to make sure it was not the film. I tried to clean the track for the film best I could. I checked the exciter lamp, it looks ok, filament not burnt. Any suggestions on what I might look for before I take to repair shop, or is it worth taking in for repair? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2009 07:08 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bobby
If you look down the list of previous threads, about 15 threads down, you will find Kevin Wardles post about a B&H TQ2 that has a problem with its sound.
It would be wise to read all the posts in that thread as they will tell you how to test the spring loaded rollers at the sound drum.
All these B&H projectors seem to suffer the same fate if left unused for a very long time.
Fixing the sound isn't hard and in most cases you don't need to do a major dismantle to free up the tight linkages involved. A good penetrating spray often frees it up.

So go to the thread and the answers are there.
Good luck with it & let us know how it goes.

dogtor pufferfish [Razz]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2009 12:03 AM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the projector play sound clearly in the past? Is there wow & flutter in the track, or is there a lack of high frequencies? Check to make sure the sound lens is clean on both sides and that the solar cell is clean. The sound lens could have gotten out of position, but that is rare if the screw was not loosened. If the soundhead rollers are considerably unsteady during play, you have some kind of problem there.

--------------------
John Hermes

Bobby Briggs
Junior

- posted September 20, 2009 10:27 AM      Profile for Bobby Briggs   Email Bobby Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up the projector, do know the history. I need to ask what is" wow & flutter in the track" mean. Sorry new to the lingo and equipment. When I turn the volume knob it makes a bunch of loud static like noise. Hard to tell if the tone knob makes a difference because sound is garbled. I am trying to find the list of previous threads to look at Kevin Wardles post about B&H TQ2, new to the site also. Thanks for your help.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2009 10:44 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,
At the top of this page, click on the words "16mm Forum",(just before B&H 535 Sound Problem).
That will give you a list of topics on the left; scroll down until you reach "Bell and Howell TQ2 Problem" and click on that. That will give you the thread in question.

The noise you get when turning the volume control is caused by a dirty track inside it. Find a hole in it's cover (at the rear of the control and squirt some switch cleaner or light machine oil into it. Then work it well several times with the amplifier turned on. With luck, the noise will get less and less and then (hopefully) will go away.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Bobby Briggs
Junior

- posted September 20, 2009 11:11 AM      Profile for Bobby Briggs   Email Bobby Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up the projector, do know the history. I need to ask what is" wow & flutter in the track" mean. Sorry new to the lingo and equipment. When I turn the volume knob it makes a bunch of loud static like noise. Hard to tell if the tone knob makes a difference because sound is garbled. I am trying to find the list of previous threads to look at Kevin Wardles post about B&H TQ2, new to the site also. Thanks for your help.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2009 11:17 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, Did you post the wrong item, or has the projector got hiccups as well?
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Bobby Briggs
Junior

- posted September 20, 2009 11:47 AM      Profile for Bobby Briggs   Email Bobby Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I posted the wrong item. The guy I got the projector from says it used to work fine . Other than sound, projector seems to work. I checked the spring loaded rollers around the sound drum, they seem to be free and responsive, snapping back quickly, the sound drum turns freely. The tension on the pulleys before the take up reel seems to be o.k., they move freely also. I will pick up some switch cleaner and try cleaning the volume switch. Thanks, I appreciate all your help and patience.

Bobby Briggs
Junior

- posted September 20, 2009 05:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Briggs   Email Bobby Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,
I just wanted to say Thanks. I went to my local Radio Shack and bought some control and contact cleaner and lubricant. Sprayed it on the volume switch and it seem to take care of the problem.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC