8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Heeeeeelp ! ....with Bolex 16mm projector ..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heeeeeelp ! ....with Bolex 16mm projector ..
Vangelis Lympouridis
Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2009 03:27 PM      Profile for Vangelis Lympouridis   Author's Homepage   Email Vangelis Lympouridis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I have recently got a vintage Bolex Model C projector. ( http://www.bolexcollector.com/projectors/model-c.html ) It is a beautiful machine and although in good condition, for its age, I started to service it a bit myself.
I cleaned up all the old grease and oil all parts and cleaned all dirt. I tried to track what I am doing in order to put everything back in the same order - BUT - it seems that there is a fine adjustment that gives the power from the motor to the gears. I am posting some pictures in order to give you a better idea. I can not simply adjust it ! Either is getting too tight or too loose. I would appreciate any help or advice!
I think it should be a generic adjustment found in many projectors...but I dont know how to...
Well Pic 1 is the projector and the last pic the order or the pieces that have to be fit in and properly adjusted..

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

Many thanks in advance for any help !!!

P.S> I hope it is fine that I uploaded 5 pictures as it is for technical assistance. Please inform me if I am not allowed anyway...

--------------------
V~

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2009 04:50 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a clutch for still picture operation? I have a later version, the G8-16 I think. It looks like the forked arm on the small gear should be riding in the slot on the piece with two drive lugs on one side and square shaft on the other. Have you tried it that way? It looks like you had to pull these parts to get the cover side off. Try a test assembly without the cover on and see if you can get the drive right and then re-assemble.

John

Vangelis Lympouridis
Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2009 09:05 PM      Profile for Vangelis Lympouridis   Author's Homepage   Email Vangelis Lympouridis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello John,

thanks for your answer, You are right, that is the order, but my real problem is how to adjust them. I know the principle I think, but I can not get it right. Is there a trick? Do I have to practice a set of things to get it right easily or just to try again and again till I get it? Also, do I have to put grease or does it need to be dry?

V.

--------------------
V~

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2009 08:55 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think it needs to be dry to work and it would explain the wear marks on the mating parts from the cupped washer.

I think you're going to have to adjust it by feel. Many of the camera and projector adjustments made at the factory were done with jigs to get parts in perfect timing. Never seen a service manual on this machine but it certainly dates from a time when they were hand assembled and tested by craftsmen, so I think you'll have to do the same.

John

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2010 07:26 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vangelis & john,

I don't have one of these Bolex projectors but after some consideration, I believe that this device is a friction clutch which will interrupt the motor drive to the projector, if a certain preset torque is exceeded.
Like when the film loops are lost & a jam up could occur.

This clutch would need to be well greased, Not running Dry!
So only try to adjust it after greasing it.

Set it by gradually loosening or tightening the threaded tensioning cover till it doesn't slip when projecting with a film load running & with 2 good preformed loops.

Think of this clutch as a mechanical fuse. When its properly adjusted It will protect the film & will limit excessive torque from tearing film if a loop is lost.

Let us know what happens,

dogtor

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC