8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Eiki SSL-0 problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eiki SSL-0 problem
Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2010 10:42 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought 2 Eiki SSL-0 and a Kodak Pageant for $40.00 for all three via Craigslist. Couldn't pass them up. Problem is both Eikis make a rather annoying ratcheting noise when played forward. Removing the back panel indicates the sound is coming from the gears at the base of the fron spindle. If greased them to no avail. Sounds fine on rewind. Any ideas on a fix? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Zach Von Joo
Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2010 05:23 PM      Profile for Zach Von Joo   Email Zach Von Joo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there Barry-

Wish I could offer advice as I have the same (or a similar) problem. Just replaced my belts in the hope that that would make a difference but it does not. Noise comes and goes, something to do with the tension on the rewind mechanism perhaps? Noise does not happen when rewinding but only in forward position. Slight pressure on rewind (drive gear?) makes noise disappear.

Edit:
Maybe it's this- From the service manual: "A 0.5mm clearance between the two mating drive gears is critical for correct rewind engagement. This distance is maintained by fiber washers as indicated ... Too much clearance will result in improper mating of the gears and will damage the gears. Too close a clearance will cause the gears to come in contact in forward, resulting in abnormal gear wear and noise."

I'm not sure how to properly adjust this...

Good luck & let me know if you figure it out- Z

[ October 02, 2010, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Zach Von Joo ]

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2010 11:54 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Zach. That may indeed be the problem, But I don't know how to fix it either. Not a big deal as these were extras. I have a SL-0 that runs quietly.

Zach Von Joo
Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2010 02:40 PM      Profile for Zach Von Joo   Email Zach Von Joo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry-

After checking on a few different forums, I found that the spindle needs to be disassembled, lubricated, & re-assembled (if you have the same problem). Noise goes away!

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2010 09:46 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Zach. I'll give that a try and report back with results.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2010 07:33 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I solved the problem. I took the unit apart, greased the bearings and re-assembled...same problem. Took it apart again and re-assembled, one piece onto the shaft at a time. Tested after each piece. No noise until I put the last piece on that puts the tension on the spring that is visible. Putting the tension piece back to the original location started the noise, so I backed it off, loosening tension on the spring, and noise went away. Did it just before bed last night and have not had opportunity to run film thru to see if it remains silent.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC