8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » TQ111 worm problems? Update.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TQ111 worm problems? Update.
Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2011 06:01 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I queried on my Dec 6th post, whether the Bell and Howell TQ111 1695 projector was subject to the same worm problems as the earlier models, and concluded after reading other posts that it was. However, I have since noticed another account (Nov. 7th) that suggests that the earlier models had plastic worms that were damaged more easily. I'm having no problems in this respect, but just interested as to whether the later worms were more robustly designed?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 15, 2011 06:20 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Allan I may have a contact for a cheap B+H with a new gear fitted if interested, if not one thats already been done leave well alone. All the bell and howells except some of the earlier 640 range and earlier older ones have the issue.

Earlier ones are more prone as its a matter of time or where stored, how much used etc too but they all go eventually. They still made them like that once aware of the problem.

If you got one with a still OK white nylon around metal worm only use it in forwards and use a film rewinder, that helps them go OK for a bit longer.

Also on ones that are done you need to run them for a good 1/2 hour plus as there are machines around with replacement plastic worms in that were made a fraction too big so once warmed up the slight oversize worm slows then jams up in the cogs, so better to see an hours running unless you can clear that up with the seller OK.

Best bet usually with 16mm is get an Eiki Black NT1 for £50 up and then see what pops up with a decent new worm gear in B+H wise as you go.

Best Mark.

PS a later black one with a new worm that has been well fitted then set up well, is very quiet and very nice. But you need to listen every time with a B+H.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2011 09:30 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark, wow that was a quick reply and thanks for the tips. I'm not currently having bother as regards the worm, but for a while I have been using a hand rewind as the projector has been reluctant to rewind especially on big spools. I have opened up the spool arm in question but can't find anything amiss, but when rewinding it sounds as if the cog is sometimes missing contact though on inspection it doesn't look worn. I have already mentioned this rewind problem on this site and a member suggested a lube that he uses himself. Haven't yet got around to this though. Allan

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 20, 2011 01:12 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello you two..
A few years ago now my Bell & Howell TQ worm gear started to crack and I spotted some lines appearing. This is what I did as a precaution…

De-grease the whole gear and also right into any cracks cautiously. Once this was done I injected some super glue into each line of the crack hoping this would run into any gap between the gear and metal shaft. Let this go off overnight then with some Epozy Resin I filled in the open crack groves smoothing the worm gear lines out.

Finally I wound a strip of wire around the outer flange each end of the worm gear making sure it did not make contact with the inner main area, then pushed some more resin over the wire to secure it to the gear itself. Re-grease with some high temp grease afterwards.

It’s a fiddly job, but if carefully dome it will last quite a bit longer providing its not so far gone already. The main thing is to catch it early to extend the gears life a little. Having done this a few years ago it is still going strong and I should mention I use that machine just about every week.

Happy new year by the way..

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC