8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Which EIKI model would you choose?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which EIKI model would you choose?
Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2011 02:24 PM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guy's,I've got chance to buy either two models of Eiki,the elf NT1 or the elf RT1,which is the best of the two models and what are the differences between them?
thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2011 02:34 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both are good machines. The RT1 will be the older of the two and has a 200w lamp. The NT1 (NT standing for Noiseless Threading) will have a 250w lamp fitted and is the more modern machine. Mechanically, both machines are almost identical.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 15, 2011 02:55 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It a long time since I owned an RT but I think it has more metal in the construction, making it heavier? As the claw in the RT doesn't withdraw during threading, there's a noisy clattering sound, but it doesn't seem to destroy leaders. Drawing from the evidence I've come across, the RTs seems to be real 'workhorses' whilst the NTs can be more temperamental, but everyone has different experiences so some might say the opposite. If both projectors seemed similar in terms of condition, there would be little difference in attributes, but if you wanted the higher light output and the quieter threading, that could swing your decision in favour of the NT. If so, I would make sure it doesn't have a mysterious rattling sound that unpredictably comes and goes. This seems to plague some NTs, driving their owners nuts, and in my case I never found out the cause!

[ May 15, 2011, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 15, 2011 05:03 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an RT but, to be honest, I usually thread it manually. However, on the few occasions when I've used the auto it's been trouble free, if a little noisy.

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2011 04:23 PM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guy's thanks for all of your replies, I have spoken to the guy and he say's that the RT1 has the 250w lamp fitted so I think I may go for that one as it seems to look a very strong machine.He say's that he has replaced all of the belts so hopefully should give me a few trouble free years. [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 17, 2011 08:07 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good choice Nick and if it’s any guide I’ve been using RT1’s for yonks. Go forever, easy to work on and parts a plenty. Derann have the correct exciter lamps in stock by the way and beware the poor quality belt kits you will find for sale on fleabay. Elf machines have a quick claw pull down so make sure your splices are tidy, other than that an ideal choice and certainly not so boxy looking as a NT.
Welcome to the 16mm Elf club! [Eek!]

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2011 11:03 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Derann's old Elf NT1 projector. This was what Steve used to check films on until it became noisey. The cam tank needed replacing and once I'd done this, all was quiet again. Think of all the thousands of feet of film this machine projected...and all is still working very well!

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2011 02:05 PM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have now got the Eiki RT1 up and running and I'm very pleased with my purchase,I must say it's a very quiet running machine compared to my elmo s8 projectors,i was kind of expecting quite loud clatter of the claw mechanism but nope very quiet,the only thing i can hear is the noise of the motor and fan.I ran an old worn out colour print just to test it and run no trouble at all with the poor quality splices and major gear repairs that had been carried out on the film. I will try and post some pictures of the print you will be amazed how poor it is.Anyway thanks everybody for your help in choosing such a fine brand of machine, just need some features now to get me going. [Big Grin]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 29, 2011 02:12 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a fantastic reduction of ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN for sale. It's from an exceptionally good 35mm source. If you're interested gimme a shout at:
mjoregan(at)btinternet(dot)com

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2011 04:45 PM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of scope lens could i use for this projector? I'm looking for a scope lens adaptor too, I have been looking at sankor 16 lenses but these fetch premium prices. [Eek!]
Any preferences would be helpfull.
Cheers.
Nick.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC