8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Video Hum on Camcorder Capturing 16mm?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Video Hum on Camcorder Capturing 16mm?
Craig Tannen
Junior

- posted July 07, 2011 12:08 AM      Profile for Craig Tannen   Email Craig Tannen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to capture the projection of my Elmo 16mm telecine 5-bladed shutter, with a VIXIA HF M32 Camcorder. I'm getting these weird horizontal lines running down the screen, on my camcorder and on my computer. I made sure I synced the camcorder to 1/60 shutter. Could this be a ground loop problem? Here's a sample video with my problem. Thanks Tiny Pic

|  IP: Logged

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2011 12:59 AM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A ground loop will usually move more slowly than that. Is this a factory modified projector with a sync motor and timing gears and belts, such as the Elmo ETC 24 model? Usually, shutter bars moving up that quickly mean the projector is running too fast. Just putting a five-blade shutter in a projector won't make it necessarily free of picture artifacts. A sync motor is locked to the AC line frequency, ensuring correct, stable speed. In addition, I've had some cameras (usually old tube models) that will show a moving bar even on some factory telecine projectors. A fully professional projector, such as an RCA TP-66, with true 3-2 pulldown, will sync with any camera I ever tried.

--------------------
John Hermes

Craig Tannen
Junior

- posted July 07, 2011 04:04 PM      Profile for Craig Tannen   Email Craig Tannen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were to buy a frame by frame projector like this one http://moviestuff.tv/wp_16.html, would I still get the lines?

I also found out the Canon GL-2 has a clear scan feature, where you could adjust the shutter speed from 60.5 Hz to 201.5 Hz. Would that work?

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2011 02:08 AM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what type of film you are trying to transfer, but you can't do sound film on the frame-by-frame projectors I have seen. Otherwise, if you are having an artifact due to a speed issue now, you shouldn't have this problem with a frame-by-frame projector. I think you would be better off trying to find a factory telecine projector, such as an Elmo CL ETC 24 or B&H 561 or 562. I have both makes and each provides shutter bar-free transfers.

--------------------
John Hermes

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2011 02:28 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The symptom you show is typical of the speed difference between the projector flicker frequency (speed x 5 = 120hz approx.) and Camera field rate x 2 = 120 hz approx.
The clue is in the "approx". An NTSC camera field rate is CRYSTAL controlled at a fraction less than 60 per second. The bars will disappear if the projector speed is the SAME fraction below 24 fps. You therefore need to be able to adjust the projector speed to match EXACTLY and keep it there, either manually or by some kind of electronic locking. The amount of deviation from 24 fps is very small, and the difference in sound pitch should not be detectable.
BUT, the speeds must match EXACTLY.You need to determine how the projector speed is controlled, and work accordingly. If the projector speed is determined by a synchronous or asynchronous motor controlled by the mains frequency (60hz) the speed will vary dependant on that frequency, which could be in error up or down, which does not guarantee "correct and stable speed".. But if the ELMO is controlled electronically it may be possible to bring the speed adjustment trimmer out on leads to provide a manual control.
My advice.... do not spend countless dollars buying equipment that may or may not do what you want, investigate the above notes; it could save you a fortune!

[ July 08, 2011, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2011 01:04 AM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen a projector with a sync motor running off speed in the United States. AC line frequency here is very dependable. My advice is to get yourself a projector designed for transferring film to video. It saves a lot of headaches. I have three 16mm telecine projectors and one super 8 telecine and all transfer film perfectly synchronized to my Sony camera head.

--------------------
John Hermes

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2011 03:07 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of whether the USA uses the world-wide practice of reducing mains frequency by small amounts at times of heavy demand in order to reduce transmission losses, and subsequent raising of frequency at times of low demand to compensate, or not... the fact remains that in order to eliminate "flicker bars" when using a consumer video camera with a projector of any type the speeds must match exactly.
Highly sophisticated transfer machines will have some means of locking the projector speed to the video camera field rate (which is NOT the same frequency as the NOMINAL mains frequency). Such machines are, by virtue of that sophistication, expensive. I do not know if Craig has a bottomless pocket or not; he certainly does not already own such machines, so he is faced with either considerable outlay (if he can afford it) or with doing what the rest of us without unlimited means have had to do... find a method that not only works, but also costs as little as possible.My remarks(and advice) address that eventuality.At least he already has a machine that could be capable of good transfers.. so no great outlay there.
Perhaps Craig would like to comment? After all, this is a discussion Forum.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 09, 2011 12:08 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig,

Are you recording in the 24p mode with your Vixia?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2011 01:00 AM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Craig has bottomless pockets, perhaps not. Deals come along sometimes. I once picked up two of the newer brown model RCA TP-66 projectors (original list price $31,000 each) for $500. Two older blue ones I got for free. I think I purchased my B&H 561 on eBay for something like $100. All I'm saying here, Martin, is it's a lot easier doing transfers with a projector made for the job.

--------------------
John Hermes

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC