8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Is this a clutch problem.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this a clutch problem.
Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2011 01:45 AM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Showing a film sunday night with the eiki at home,first reel no problems 1600ft, i think you know what i'm going to say next,the next reel 2000ft showing nearly all the way through until the final climax of the film and i could hear tap....tap....tap got up and low and behold the take up reel had stopped turning and about 50ft of the film was on the floor. [Mad] So managed to reel it back up no problem but noticed that the film had been reeling unevenly on the spool,all lumpy,so am i right in thinking that the tension of the take up spool has'nt been constant throughout the the latter part of the film like as if the heavier the spool is getting the slacker the tension. anybody else had this problem with elf machines? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2011 01:15 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not always caused by reel arm tension.....many times 16 prints develop a wavy quality....like a warp.....from being wound on a reel for long periods of time..and not being wound tightly... this can cause the problem of loose winding you describe. Next time you show that reel.....flip the film over just before attaching it to the takeup reel..so that the sprocket holes are facing away from you....and run the film. If the warp isn't too bad...the film will take up just fine. Sometimes on these films...you can start to see bunching and loose winding long before the end of the reel. If you don't notice any loose winding as the films gets about halfway through....then maybe you do have a projector takeup problem.

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2011 12:40 AM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi thanks for your reply,I re-run the reel last night and noticed that upto about half way the reel run perfect,then after that the rear bobbin started to bounce backwards and forwards, then a noticable difference in speed fluctuation in the take up then the film would run smooth again,then the lumps would start to appear and the process is repeated all over again.Towards the end of the film about the same place as last time the reel starts to slow down then the film would start to drop from the reel then the reel would slowly speed up and catch it,the click....click.... click noise would start from the reel slowing and speeding up pulling the rear spring loaded bobbin to its full travel then releasing it sharply then the reel stopped and the film started to droop off the reel and onto the floor. [Roll Eyes]

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2011 03:12 PM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have now fixed the problem,the clutch tension screw had become loose causing the reel to slow down under load, now runs at perfect tension right to the end of the reel. [Smile]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 13, 2011 10:29 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Nick! [Big Grin]

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2011 02:24 PM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a mechanic helps,as these machines can be quite complicated if you don't know what your doing, it's amazing how precise these little machines are,they think of every kind of adjustment you can think of,very well built machines.

Jeff Taylor
Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2011 08:47 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One tip to remember...assuming the takeup is working properly, a loose or "lumpy" takeup is potentially due to a slight cupping or warping of the print. Many times you can work around this by giving the film a half twist at the takeup reel. Try it sometime.

--------------------
Jeff

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC