8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Just started collecting, now have collection of 2 movies. Question about this vinegar (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Just started collecting, now have collection of 2 movies. Question about this vinegar
Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 15, 2013 07:16 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same scale applies to 8mm - I've had to destroy three prints, as the smell was a combination of paint, shoe polish, sharp vinegar and (like you mentioned), a medicinal lab - Could have been VitaFilm, but wasn't - Strip said danger zone - Store films (any gauge) in metal cans, loosely-winding (I find tight rewinds generate trouble actually) - In my case, original cardboard boxes, clean and as mint as I can find them, the oxides do not harm the emulsion, as there has been no incident these many years - I run my entire library (some undertaking), bi-annually, cotton swabs chemically clean as they rewind - Temps, 70 year-long, adequate A/C, etc, makes for happy screening - Cheers, Shorty

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2013 10:36 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an interesting thing I found out I too ordered up these strips and also have vita-film cleaner I attached one of these strips on the top of the can and closed it up leaving a small part not exposed the section that was exposed has turned the same color as number 2 that James referred to as freezer time is it possible that a film that was cleaned with this stuff could turn these strips into making us think that the film has vinegar?
 -
I contacted the makers of vitafilm and here is there response:
It is entirely possible.

I had a discussion several years ago with an Eastman Kodak engineer
who admitted that many film cleaners will trigger a change to their AD
strips, giving a false reading. Vitafilm is one of them. Unless the
film is completely clean and free any organic oils, the AD strips are
not a reliable test for the presence of Vinegar Syndrome.

Sincerely,

William Stewart

[ February 28, 2013, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Jim Schrader ]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 28, 2013 07:15 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not used Vitafilm so have no experience to go on. However, their claims to cure VS seem to be widely disputed, so collectors who are dismissive of their claims are liable to take a cynical view of a Vitafilm representative saying the substance itself can cause an A-D film to react, as it's an convenient response to anyone who tries Vitafilm to cure VS and then reports no improvement on A-D readings. A good test of this would be to do an A-D test on a polyester print treated with Vitafilm, as this won't have VS.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2013 01:30 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant idea, Adrian.
Any takers?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC