8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Can I use this for my Kodak Pageant :)?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can I use this for my Kodak Pageant :)?
Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2013 12:14 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I'm trying to increase the brightness of my Pageant, so, now that I have taken care of the lens, I was wondering (since it uses old school, incandescent lamps) if I could upgrade to this Halogen lamp [Smile] ? Please, anyone [Big Grin] ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-USHIO-Halogen-Lamp-BTN-120-Volts-750-Watts-/230963370954?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3 D7064751861989635765%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D290891497196%26

Best,
ET

|  IP: Logged

Doug Thompson
Junior

- posted April 23, 2013 09:50 PM      Profile for Doug Thompson   Email Doug Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a page with the specs for the halogen BTN bulb, and this is a page with the specs for the incandescent DDB bulb for which I assume you are trying to substitute.

The only differences I see are that the BTN is 3000 lumens less, the light center length is half a millimeter shorter, and the estimated hours are 475 hours more.

Your Pageant should be able to take the 1000w incandescent DFT bulb. It looks like halogen BTR would be a good substitute.

If it was my only projector, I wouldn't chance it. But I have several, so I might give it a try.

I've always liked how quickly and easily these machines can be threaded and unthreaded and how the gate comes out to allow good thorough cleaning.

My only problem with them is the plastic (Delrin?) gears. Anyone know of a source for them?

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2013 10:07 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dearest Doug,

thanks for the awesome response, and not to mention, your first post [Smile] !!! I guess I won't risk it then as this is my only projector [Wink] ... Also, what exactly is that plastic gear you mention here again, good sir? Thanks!!!

Best,
ET

Doug Thompson
Junior

- posted April 23, 2013 11:15 PM      Profile for Doug Thompson   Email Doug Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sprockets are driven by plastic gears. The take-up belt is looped through a channel (also plastic) around the top sprocket. (Sorry for the vagueness. I'm away from my Pageants. This is from memory.)

A WORD OF WARNING. Never run a later model Pageant (like yours) without the cloth take-up belt on the take-up arm. It will wrap around the plastic channel and strip gears. You can remove the cloth belt, should you need to. Remove the top sprocket, remove the cloth belt, and replace the top sprocket. Brad Miller, owner of this site, did a temporary installation with a 126TR or 250 and used a platter to handle the film. (I tried this at one of the theatres at which I used to work. Worked great!) The take-up arm (and supply for that matter) aren't needed in this setup.

ADDITIONAL WARNING. I had a print that packed poorly. I was intending to store it tails out after projecting with a little extra weight on the take-up arm to get a better pack. BIG mistake. Part way through, one of the plastic gears stripped, and the top loop disappeared!

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2013 04:58 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug,

thanks a ton, you sir, are such a God-send [Big Grin] !!!

Best,
ET

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC