8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Starting 16MM as a collection. Advice ... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Starting 16MM as a collection. Advice ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 16, 2013 01:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I am seriously thinking about making the plunge into 16MM, at least in a limited way, (now I wish I hadn't parted with the "Muppets" hmmm) as, quite frankly, there are quite a few 16MM titles that can be found in scope and even cheaper in some regards, thean super 8 prints of the same. I have an opportunity to get from a neighbor a Kodak 16MM projector, not auto-load, but I have heard that it is a very friendly projector for 16MM.

Besides that, I'm having a hard time passing on some 16MM prints for sale on this forum.

Anybody have any advice?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 16, 2013 01:33 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, don't bother with auto-load. Manual threading is best for 16mm, IMO.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 16, 2013 01:45 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love the Elmo 16CL slot load ... Easy starting from mid film or whatever ...

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2013 04:00 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dearest Osi,

I myself made the leap to 16mm not long ago and couldn't be happier with the format. I have a Kodak Pageant AV 126 TR projector and IMHO, it is the most gentle film I have to yet come across for 16mm. This is as there is very minimal contact with film (as is not the case with my B&H autoload that I got rid of). You can see that your precious film doesn't get out of your sight where it could be prone to scratches n what not in the sealed mechanism of the self-threading machines. I have learned quite a lot about anything ranging from picture stability to picture size for the Pageant and am glad to say it would be my pleasure to help out with any questions you may have [Big Grin] !!!

Best,
ET

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2013 05:07 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My projectors in 16mm are a non working B&H and now two Elf/EIKI projectors. They are auto thread, but I like to do it manually.

The thing I like about 16mm is the films were complete, unlike most of the UK super 8mm releases. Another reason more titles were in scope, I would not buy a super 8 if it was not in scope, although I may seem to contradict myself the 4x400ft format was OK.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2013 10:06 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love doing it manually as well as it takes your touch to get it going [Big Grin] !!!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 17, 2013 02:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The thing I like about 16mm is the films were complete
So says David, but be aware of mainly black & white features which were edited for showing on American television. These were cut for fitting into time "slots".
Unfortunately, the removed sections were rarely replaced. When TV went to colour most of the old b/w features found themselves on the second-hand market.
Wasn't there a gentleman somewhere in Florida who had thousands of such films for sale many years ago?

--------------------
Maurice

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2013 08:07 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, Yes you are correct that some were edited for time, and of course censored sometimes too. My 16mm copy of "Hopsctoch" was audio censored, they did this with blooping tape stuck over the optical track to silence the swearwords. Luckily it peeled off OK, and comparing it with the DVD seems complete.

I suppose the scope prints are ex-library I have "Ice Station Zebra" that seems complete.

One thing I noticed with 16mm from America proberly all ex TV was the poor splicing on quite a few of the films I bought.

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2013 11:43 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi....as you well know....many times the 16 prints are worse than their 8mm counterparts. I've told how I sold my Star Wars and Dracula, Prince of Darkness prints ...when I got the much superior Super 8's . 16 can be a rich fertile field ..but with lots of rocks and holes to fall in, as you know. Yes..you can buy cheap prints of bad movies ...red and censored or chopped up.... and sometimes you can get some good B films...at a good price, too. Lots of TV shows out there for very little money.... but it's always a pig in a poke. If you have a Kodak Pageant in good running condition, you have one of the best. I run all Pageant 250's..... halogen lamps on those. And also the 126's are good machines, except for the incandescent lamps that just don't have the lumens for a big screen.
The elmo and eumig super 8 machines , for the most part, are brighter than the old machines with incandescent bulbs.
If you want to get some decent films at a decent price, you should either come to the Columbus Cinevent next weekend...or , even better, for super 8 AND 16..the Cinesea show...next one is first weekend in Oct. in Wildwood Crest, N.J.
Good luck in your foray into 16mm.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 17, 2013 12:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually noticed that Gary (and believe me, I am in NO WAY discontinuing my Super 8 collection), that sometimes the super 8 is actually better, but there are a myriad of 16MM titles that just aren't available on super 8, Bladerunner, for instance, rare, but out there on 16MM scope! In the past few days, I have noticed a print of "Last Days of Pompeii" right here on this forum and it is tempting me as well!

In fact, somtimes, the 16MM is cheaper than the super 8 print!

... and, if I should chose to acept the mission, "Grizzly Adams" is available in a very nice color 16MM. (However, I will still eternally search for a good color super 8!)

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 17, 2013 12:38 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I come into 16mm as well, have some I kept since the start - I'd match a prime Super 8 print anytime with a gorgeous 16 - Case in point, THE HECKLER - Stunning on both counts - Go for it, slowly and evenly, don't forget to add shorts - I know - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 17, 2013 01:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won't add shorts as I don't look good in shorts!

(snicker/snort)! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 18, 2013 04:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe is absolutely right, take it slow and carefully or you will probably wind up with a pile of junk. Its very easy to start collecting larger film gauges and be tempted by all manner of things which will swamp you. I should know I do 35mm as well and shortly breaking into 70. EEK!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 18, 2013 06:17 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70 ... Envy maxed out now :-) I am happy with 35mm when that arrives sometime this summer :-) Only have one feature (in the mail) and 30 trailers and a short Pixar

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2013 10:22 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak projectors are very kind on film, but I would not get the older models that have incandescent lamp and tube amps. The older amps will most likely need to be recapped. I also prefer the manual load projectors. I have a Singer (Graflex) 16, 1000G that has a solid state amp and halogen lamp. Very quiet and kind to film. They are very reasonably priced. Look for 800 or 1000 series, avoid 900 series.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 18, 2013 12:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won't run into that problem. I'm well educated enough to know a piece O crap print and a good one!

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 18, 2013 01:54 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm well educated enough to know a piece O crap print and a good one!
Only experience in 16mm will tell you that, Osi.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2013 02:22 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like my Elf/EIKI projectors, they are quieter than my B&H when it was working.

The sad thing is that some of my 16mm have faded. My "Kelly's Heroes" scope as gone 'khaki' still magic though on film.

I wonder if Thornhill Entertainment are still going. I bought loads of TV series from him. Really good stuff too. And Western Cinema, bought "Shout At The Devil" from them in scope, but not all the film was scope. [Frown]

Oh No going nostalgic again.

--------------------

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2013 07:28 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry,

I have a KOdak Pageant AV 126 TR, incandescent but wanna know what you mean by the amp and why the type you speak of is bad? Also, can I modify mine to be Halogen? I have never been satisfied with the stock 750 Watt that I have but yet have to try 1000 and 1,200 Watt alternatives. Hoping there will be a noticeable increase in brightness [Smile] ... Thanks again and I eagerly await to hear from ya [Smile] !!!

Best,
ET

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2013 08:03 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Elyas,
I didn't mean to badmouth the older Pageants as they are very good machines. However, like all older tube amps, the capasitors eventually will need to be replaced. Unless you can do that yourself, you are in for a bit of an expense, especially if you have to ship the unit to the repairman (if you can find one). I do not know if it can be converted to halogen. My point was that if a person does not have a projector, get one with modern components.

[ May 20, 2013, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2013 06:28 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry,

so by the amp, I take it you're talking about the speaker system [Smile] ? Sorry if I'm coming across as slow lol... Thanks again and if I ever consider getting a replacement Pageant, I'll get the newer Halogen ones you recommend. Also, do you advise they will be brighter than my incandescent one [Smile] ? I assume they would and thanks once more [Big Grin] !!!

Best,
ET

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2013 08:51 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ET.
By amp I mean amplifier. It is part of the speaker system so to speak. Yes, halogen lamps are much brighter, cooler, generally cheaper, and last longer. Additionally, you don't need condensing lenses.
Best,
Barry

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2013 09:12 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dearest Barry,

you sir are blowing my mind, thanks a ton [Big Grin] !!! Brightness was kind of a concern for me with these incandescent lamps so will def be looking into getting one of those (or xenons) for my next one when I have some money to spend ;D... Thanks again!!!

Best,
ET

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2013 08:59 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ET,
Xenons are great, but the lamps are VERY costly. A xenon projector will be quite expensive also. Unless you are projecting in a very large room,(auditorium), halogen should be fine.

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2013 01:57 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dearest Barry,
thanks for the heads up, yet again [Smile] ... I will be sure to stick with the Halogen then and will ask for more tips when I decide to go for it [Smile] !!!

Best,
ET

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC