8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Elf, Eiki

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elf, Eiki
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2013 07:17 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I wanted a more modern 16mm projector than my B&H 601 (1947), I saw a super looking Elf RT1 on Ebay, and won the item, while waiting for it to arrive I spent £16 on a reprint of the instruction manual. When it arrived I discovered that all the belts had perished, so I ordered 3 belts, and some spare bulbs, which I think added £50 to the £16 I had already spent. Now came the problem, all the screws had been overtightened, and even using WD40 it was very difficult to remove them, some of the heads burred up and I had to carefully drill out 2 of the screws; I had no other choice.. I fitted the front belt and the toothed belt, but when it came to the rear take up belt I couldn't discover how to get the new belt on. I contacted several owners of Elf Eiki machines and photographed the problem area; strange to say that one owner of an RT1 said my machine was different from his, and he couldn't help me. I just removed the belts and replaced the screws. In all fairness to the seller, he did offer to let me have a refund and keep the machine, but I returned it and he found a buyer (some one who bought more than one projector a week) at a lower price. I was told by more than one person that overtight screws is a common problem with this make of projector. I now have a Bell & Howell 8D 655, which came out in 1965. I got this from a film historian, who in his 80s decided he was too old to carry it about giving lectures on film history. I understand that Elf, Eiki, give very good sound reproduction, how are they regarding film handling compared to B&H?.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 28, 2013 08:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eiki/Elf has two claws and the Bell & Howell has three, thus old and partially damaged film will more likely go through a Bell & Howell than an Eiki/Elf.

The Eiki/Elf has only two sprockets, whereas the film in a Bell & Howell meets three sets of sprocket teeth.

As regards sound quality I consider the two projectors somewhat equal, but the Bell & Howell with its two stabilising rollers probably has a better path for sound-track reading.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2013 11:07 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for that interesting information Maurice.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC