8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » re best bell and howell

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: re best bell and howell
David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2013 09:37 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the 644 model was the daddy of them all 25 watt amp and optical and magnetic playback sound and record

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 04, 2013 10:57 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, is that the model that had the variable masking in the
picture gate. I have an old one that I bought years ago secondhand that never worked. I do favour the B&H 2592, that
has a great amp,bright lamp, fast lens, and most important,is kind to film.
I do agree though that there is something about the older B&Hs
that give assurance on film care and are sturdily made, solid
pieces of engineering.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 04, 2013 06:38 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David is that the manual threader that also didn`t have the dodgey worm ?

Best Mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 05, 2013 04:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with David. The Bell & Howell 644, which was the first of the new line and introduced in 1962, is a splendid projector which was made at Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire (later home of Rank Xerox).

It is a manual thread with variable aperture gate mask, and full magnetic recording is possible.

Mine still has its original worm but the lighting has been upgraded with an HID 150 lamp conversion, and the lens being replaced with an f1.2.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC