8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Ensign Film Library

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ensign Film Library
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2013 07:43 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any information on the Ensign Film Library, such as what period they were trading, and titles available. They were similar to the Kodascopes.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 09:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty certain that not one of us actually remembers this film library, nor the Kodascope library. They were mainly 16mm silent and they probably both went the same way, succumbed to the War, and 9.5mm silent films which were available cheaply for hire from almost any High Street chemist shop. The 9.5mm were also available to buy for one's own library.

Kodak sold off their library and no doubt lots of these amber tinted prints are still in collectors' ownership.

The earliest "documentation" that I have is a February 1938 copy of "Amateur Cine World", it does have an advert from Ensign but it's for screens and makes no mention of their film library.

I have Gerald McKee's "A Half Century of Film Collecting" and in a special article on Charley Chase & Paul Parrott films he quotes many titles from the mid-thirties which were available from Kodascope on 16mm, with a few on 8mm. He mentions one 16mm from Ensign "What Women Did For Me" (1927), a 2 reeler.

Gerald also says that Kodak issued for sale in the 30s, three Cine-Kodagraphs on 16mm 100ft and 8mm 50ft:- "Bargain Day", "Train Your Spooks", and "Choose Your Weapons".

He further says that the last two were duped and issued as Stockwell Cine Shorts in the late 40s.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2013 10:17 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that information, I found a few Ensignareels listed for sale that were 8mm, but have only come across 1 16mm, which I have, which I think is dated 1930. Regarding Kodascopes, there is a webpage devoted to these, and it mentioned Ensignareels; the author told me he had an Ensign Library catalogue, but never posted any details.
It appears the Kodascope Library in London closed in 1941.
http://www.pathescope.freeserve.co.uk/Kodscope.htm

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC