8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Kodak Pageant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak Pageant
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 01, 2014 06:24 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Kodak make a version of its Pageant for use on 50 hertz mains?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2014 05:55 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I don't know the answer and other Forum members may be better informed. However according to my copy of the 1953 Cine Almanac, the Pageant was a 110V AC/DC machine so it would have run on 50 or 60Hz or DC, presumably using a "universal" motor. Assuming later Pageants used AC induction motors a simply change of drive pulley ratio would allow either frequency to be used. Most of the world except North America, Central America and parts of South America, parts of Japan etc use 50Hz so Kodak would have limited their market otherwise.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 03, 2014 03:06 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

Thanks for your interesting comments and thoughts. If an earlier Pageant had an AC/DC motor then it would not require to be governed by the mains frequency, all that would be needed would be a suitable transformer. The later machines with a synchronous motor would probably work if an enterprising person could change the pulleys for a different size.

I have been browsing on the Internet and find that Kodak were very prolific with producing probably about twenty different models of the Pageant.

They seem to be divided into three separate versions.

First model from 1951 had the spool arms at the front (with the need to overhang the table/stand), these had a valve amp vertically placed to the left of the lamp-house, lamps were standard two flange pre-focus and up to 1200 watts.

The second model had the spool arms front and rear vertically, same lamps as before, a transistorised amp and the projector lived in the bottom of its case (a la Ampro.)

The third model was as above but the lamp was now the EJL. The last variant, the 250S finished in January 1983.

Kodak now turned to Japan and the Elmo slot-loader, the 16-CL, appeared badged as the Kodak Ektagraphic CT1000, this was introduced in January 1983.

The voltage and hertz never seemed to be mentioned in reviews or ads, but manuals indicate 105-125 volts at 60 Hz.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2014 01:19 PM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a picture of the first Pageant on page 221 of the Kodak book "How to Make Good Movies" printed in 1954.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 03, 2014 02:26 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a photo of one of the earlier Pageants but I don't know the exact model number.
http://pictures2.todocoleccion.net/tc/2011/12/17/29719391_8924041.jpg

--------------------
Maurice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 03, 2014 11:40 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another photo. This is one of the second series, although I do not know the exact model number.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xdVIURsvvbY/TB1m4tz5WSI/AAAAAAAABXs/X_1dxqy1SWw/s1600/Film_projector_by_cbrubaker.jpg

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC