8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell & Howell Filmovara

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell Filmovara
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 06, 2014 02:48 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the range given by the Bell & Howell Filmovara attachment which screws into the basic lenses of their later 16mm projectors?

On the Internet and eBay there is confusion because some people think that the Bell & Howell zoom lens for 16mm projectors can also be called a Filmovara.

This may be the fault of Bell & Howell themselves which use the term Filmovara for the zoom lenses on their 8mm projectors.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2014 04:02 PM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manual for models 2585/2592 states 0.875 to 1.125
http://www.acofs.org.au/bell_&_howell.htm

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 07, 2014 02:19 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Paul
For use with the basic 2" lens this will give a range of 1.75" to 2.25" (44.45mm to 57.15mm). Nowhere near the range of the B & H zoom lenses.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2014 04:25 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not much of a range I agree. 0.8 to 1.2 would have been more useful.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 07, 2014 10:11 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just checked the Zoom Converter-16 on my Elf ESL-2 and it has a range of 0.75 - 1.25 X. This is a definite improvement on the version from Bell & Howell.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2014 02:51 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One advantage of the Filmovara is that it can be used with a 1 1/2 (38mm) lens as well as the 2 inch.

--------------------
Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC