8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » How do you label your film cans/containers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you label your film cans/containers?
David C. Lucidi
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2014 08:44 PM      Profile for David C. Lucidi   Email David C. Lucidi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

(Posted this on the other forum too, just a heads up).

After seeing a recent cartoon I bought, come in a can with one of those "label maker" labels on the can itself, I realized it was time to update my own lousy method (which consisted of using leader tape with magic marker). It doesn't help that my handwriting isn't the neatest.

Since my company owns commercial printing equipment, I decided to give it a shot. Made some labels at work, and applied them to about 1/5 of my cartoon cans. Nothing fancy (for now), just title, year, filmstock, condition (if applicable), and who stars in it. You can't really tell in the picture (due to size limits on this forum), but some of the cartoons are two different film stocks, so I have it listed as such (including the percentage of each). If I want I can get fancier later, as I can literally use any font, any color scheme, and even put logos on it (but 400' cans limit what can be done legibly).

I am toying with doing the actual theatrical full color logos on my full length features, since I will have much more "label room" on the PlioMagic and Fiber cases.

Thoughts? Examples of how you do yours? Feedback and other examples being posted are appreciated!

-

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 31, 2014 06:30 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job, David. I own a label printer and essentially I do the same with my films (super 8, 16 and 35).

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 31, 2014 07:07 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a label printer a dew days ago. I decided to put the title of the film and the gauge (as I have several) and the indication sound or silent. However some cans are too thin for the 12 mm labels so I put them on the top of it (instead of the side) for the moment, waiting to find maybe later another label printer for those cans. It is anyway an improvment as I put before the title of the film on a paper Inside the can. It may look not pratctical but most of the films have already the title printed or added by a previous owner. The only not labelled films I have are the Super 8 features I respooled on large spools and the 9,5 films I put also on larger spools. It was not a problem before but with the growing number of large 9,5 spools I acquired these last months, it is necessary now to be less messy.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 31, 2014 08:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, surely it is easier nowadays to just use a PC and an everyday printer with say Microsoft Publisher?

That way you can print whatever sized labels you want in any size, colour and font.

I use this software all the time for my box art as I find cans really drab and boring to look at. I keep my cans in the loft and use cardboard boxes in feature bind where necessary all fully decorated as close as possible to the original artwork.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 31, 2014 08:46 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, do you use special label paper or normal paper that you tape ? I admire those who do artwork on their cans and boxes.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 31, 2014 09:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I just use photographic paper, then laminate it. For labels only, I wouldn't even go to the expense of photo quality paper. Just a decent intermediate would do fine.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 31, 2014 09:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew
I hope your loft is not freezing cold in winter and steaming hot in summer.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 31, 2014 10:02 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure is Maurice but it's ok for the storage of empty plastic cans and empty projector boxes and dozens of empty AV kit boxes, which is all I keep up there besides the soon to arrive Christmas Tree & Decs.

All films and machines adorn every orifice of our house at living quarters level, much to the complete disgust of my beautiful wife!

We really could do with a house each lol! [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC