8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Largest B&H Filmosound speaker I've seen...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Largest B&H Filmosound speaker I've seen...
Travis Alsgard
Junior

- posted January 06, 2015 09:02 PM      Profile for Travis Alsgard   Email Travis Alsgard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for any information I can find associated with this model of speaker.

Stumbled across this on my travels and knew I had to own it. The driver is a Jensen H510 coaxial (15") and is obviously much larger than your standard fare. The previous owner got it from his father's estate but had no projector to accompany it.

Measurements are 33" high, 22" wide, 18" deep. Driver dates from 20th week of 1952.

Any info? Maybe you've at least seen one before? Thanks in advance all!

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 07, 2015 02:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the controls at the top? Is it a power amp?
Bell & Howell made a powered speaker for large locations. It weighed 48lbs.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2015 04:51 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does look like a powered speaker with a matching transformer on the input of the massive driver. On the other hand the space for the amp is small and the visible sockets don't seem like mains supply sockets. Most likely an un-powered speaker capable of handling 30 to 50 watts with a bass reflex port to increase the efficiency.

--------------------
Paul.

Travis Alsgard
Junior

- posted January 07, 2015 11:40 AM      Profile for Travis Alsgard   Email Travis Alsgard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is non-powered. The input plate has 1/4" input and a tweeter attenuation knob. Also, the boxes mounted to the driver are the accompanying Jensen A110 crossover. This is a 2-way speaker with a compression driver through the center of the woofer voicecoil.

*edit* Just wanted to add that, coming from the vintage audio world, I know quite a bit about the speaker itself. My only concern was about removing it from the cabinet and putting it in something more suitable (much larger) if it's a rare piece of B&H history.

[ January 08, 2015, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: Travis Alsgard ]

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2015 02:54 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is a rare bell & Howell cabinet but the Jensen driver may not be the original. The frequency response of optical 16mm tracks in 1952 would be only be 70 to 7000 Hz at best so 2 way speakers are very unusual outside permanent cinemas.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 08, 2015 03:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my doubts that this is a genuine Bell & Howell accessory.
1) The name plate is in an unusual position for a Bell & Howell item, and looks stuck on.
2) Why would Bell & Howell make this when they already produced powered speakers?

--------------------
Maurice

Charles Peich
Junior

- posted January 08, 2015 02:33 PM      Profile for Charles Peich   Email Charles Peich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Travis!

The Bell and Howell speaker you have is called a "Little Orchestricon". This is one in the line of auditorium speakers that B&H offered.
I have seen this speaker listed in a post war 1946 B&H price list, and as late in a 1954 price list and sales catalog.

I think the Little Orchestricon speaker may have been introduced when B&H 1st introduced the Filmoarc Projector. It must have gone through some improvements or changes and evolved into the speaker you have.

These 2 pictures are from a 1954 sales catalog that has both 16mm and 8mm cameras and projectors......

-

-

The price list lists it with the powered speakers that have a 25 watt amp and 12 inch speaker. The Orchestricon speaker is listed at 15 inches.

-

This link takes you to a brochure for the early Filmoarc projector. Not the best quality, but the last page of the pdf describes the "Orchestricon" speaker used with the Filmoarc. (enlarge the page, easier to read)

http://www.acofs.org.au/part_4_files/Bell%20&%20Howell/User-Filmoarc.PDF

There's not much on the net about the Little Orchestricon speaker. Maybe separate sales brochures for the B&H line of 16mm sound projectors have more information.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Charlie

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 08, 2015 03:09 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected.

In the UK the Bell & Howell 609 was a carbon arc projector, very similar to the illustrated projector. It was based on the model 601 picture/sound head.

The arc was 30 amps DC and burnt for nearly one hour on the one carbon trim. It was on a roll away stand with the separate amplifier beneath it, the rectifier stood beneath the amp. The 609 had a 25 watt amplifier and a built-in monitor speaker with change-over unit. It was supplied with two 12" speakers. The price in 1954 was £650.

I recall seeing two of these in use in 1965 at Butlins Holiday Camp at Pwllheli in North Wales. The screen was square, owners of the earlier Bell & Howells will recall that they did not have optical framing, therefore the picture moved either up or down when the framing knob was turned. It was obviously impossible to re-tilt a heavy projector so the screen allowed for the up and down movement of the picture as necessary.

It certainly was a distinct improvement when the 641/642/643/644 came out in the early sixties with their full optical framing.

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 08, 2015 04:51 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does a carbon arc lamp actually work then people, is it burning what creastes the light or is there a chemical reaction etc or something ?

Best Mark.

Travis Alsgard
Junior

- posted January 08, 2015 11:26 PM      Profile for Travis Alsgard   Email Travis Alsgard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Charles!

Exactly the information I was looking for. I knew a few catalog scans had to exist somewhere, it was just finding them that was causing all the trouble.

The driver alone is sought after to the vintage HiFi crowd (myself included) but seeing as this was a factory piece with very little information available, I'll definitely be keeping it as a complete unit. I suppose now would be the time to further pry on the previous owner to see if the projector may still be around.

Very much appreciated! I now have a bit of history to share about the unit if the opportunity presents itself. Thank you again.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 09, 2015 02:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A carbon arc.
There are two carbons. A positive and a negative. The DC current flows from the negative to the positive. The carbon vapourises at its high temperature. This vapour is highly luminous.
The carbons burn away at a constant rate, an electric motor ensures that the gap between the two is maintained at a constant distance. The arc.
A concave mirror focuses the light onto the film gate.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2015 02:41 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Maurice I stand corrected. I'm glad it's a genuine B & H accessory. Definitely rare in the UK. It would have been very efficient and ideal for the 10 watt amplifier.

--------------------
Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC