8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Outdoor Screenings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Outdoor Screenings
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2015 09:08 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was just wondering what screen size you use for showing 16mm films outdoors. I guess you have to have a cut off on how big you can get the picture before you start to loose detail or light.

I guess having a good sharp 16mm print sometimes helps.

I normally project on a 10ft screen but anything more then can cause problems with your audience.

Of course with 35mm projection you don't really have this problem.

Would be good to know your experiences.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 12, 2015 04:43 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I am surprised,I'd have thought it would be far larger than that.

10ft screens can easily be filled with a decent non Xenon/ HTI Super 8mm projector and with a decent print and still look superb both for brightness levels as well as grain/ sharpness levels.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2015 09:55 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last month i make a show with my fumeo 9119 and a 1.1 xenovaron and esc fuji lamp,we show "dracula has risen from the grave" on a 32ft screen with excelent sharp focus and brigth picture on screen,i think thats the limit for a good super 8 show. On 16mm we show "goldfinger" with an eiki 250w lamp and a 25mm lens on a 65 feet screen and was excellent too.everybody clapping a lot at the end and was a lovely experience.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 12, 2015 10:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's more like it Jose! [Wink]

Had you have done the same show here last month, you would have been a snowman by the end of the show!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2015 02:46 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Really funny!!!.maybe will be better to show the film with the lamp case open to take some warm feeling ajajaj!!! [Cool] [Cool] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 12, 2015 03:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure it's a Xenon so it warms like a gas fire! Lol

--------------------

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2015 04:29 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a 10ft screen for flat prints along with a 24ft screen for scope prints. Similar to how the BFCC cinema shows are presented like today.

I do find that with most super 8 and 16mm prints depending on how they are printed and source material being used are not ideal for the big screen.

Also another factor is the size of your audience and distance of course.

Fumeos, Cinemeccanica and Philips seem to be the best projectors for the job being professional machines which are much sought after in the outdoor cinema world.

Along with Xenon light which is the best for large screen presentation.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 12, 2015 06:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Or of course a HTI.

--------------------

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2015 07:21 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course there is no "limit" for any film gauge/projector/lamp combination as there are so many variables such as the size of audience, how dark is it, sharpness, contrast and colour saturation of the print. I find the audience should not get too close or too far away in relation to the screen width. If the picture is too dim then I need darker conditions or more light output or reduce the size of the picture as a last resort. I mainly show 16mm films on a five foot screen indoors to just my wife and I. Good luck to those with bigger screens and larger audiences outdoors.

--------------------
Paul.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2015 09:28 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I'm thinking in buying a inflatable screen for portable screenings. Do you have any experience in these. As I believe they are very popular in the states.

David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2015 10:06 AM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I used to run 16mm outdoors with my Eiki Ex4000p, I used a 10x14.5 screen for flat prints, and a 9x 24 for scope prints, actually two 9x12s together with an invisible filler strip.
Obviously brightness was NEVER an issue.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2015 11:44 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, sounds interesting what invisible filter strip did you use to join the two screens together and are these filters easily obtainable?

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2015 01:51 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First...I've found through many showings that Super 8 scope can be shown on at least a 16 foot wide screen, which is what I use at my house out by the pool...BUT ...to make it presentable, I use the Elmo GS, with a f1.0 lens, the best lamp available..two blade shutter in it...AND the screen is painted with Steve Osborne's miraculous special screen paint which adds ...and I do not exaggerate...about15 to 20% more brightness/white-ness.

On the subject of inflatable screens....I have used one for outdoor shows away from my house..mostly at church events and they have their ups and downs, so to speak. On the good side,
1. It's the 12 foot measured diagonally version and it goes up very easily and quickly.....BUT...if you have any amount of wind, trying to get it erected and staked down to keep it from falling over forward or backward...well, it's like trying to moor the Hindenberg airship in a hurricane. It can be done, but it's a long and sometimes frustrating business.

2. Mine, and most of them I've seen, seem to be in a Hi-Def TV format....neither actual wide screen nor standard old time squarish format. if you want to fill the screen to the black masking, you have to zoom out to do it...and you lose top and bottom of a standard format picture. If you are showing scope, you leave A LOT of space top and bottom. But for my church Trunk or Treat Halloween showings....it's fine.

3. and when it's not windy, it deflates in no time and packs away. but DON'T EVER USE THE SCREEN PAINT OR ANY PAINT ON IT.
Steve Osborne tried it on his and the paint added just enough weight that the blowers could not support the screen.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2015 05:01 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary,

I find your comments and experience very useful as because of the great British weather it is not as poplar on the other side of the pond.

I can see that inflatables do have some draw backs as mentioned especially ones that are designed not for flat 4.3 presentation.

Some people have used these stretch fabric screens mainly because they are the cheapest alternative. You would only need a tree either side. Plus you don't really have a problem with wind or setting these up when fully stretched.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2015 03:42 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow you are lucky over there outdoor screening at the pool. What a cold place we are in. Roll on summer I hope heat wave. Problem then eveyone compalains ins too hot never win here. And if the weather men say a really good summer, get your thermals ready.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2015 06:07 AM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, the filler strip was specially made by Draper/Dalite for such a purpose. If you angle the screens a bit, both far ends toward you, the filler strip blends in at an angle.
Not sure if they are still available, but I have no use for mine.
If interested, message me and maybe we can work out a deal.
Thanks.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2015 04:14 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David

Will take you up on your offer, just sent you a p.m.

Best,

Rob.

David C. Lucidi
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2015 08:28 AM      Profile for David C. Lucidi   Email David C. Lucidi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, I have posted replies on this topic a few times on the 16mm forum.

I have been doing 16mm outdoor shows since 2011 or so. I custom built (using 2' x 4's) a 12' x 16' screen, representing the approx. 4:3 ratio used on non-scope prints.

Attached below is a picture during the initial setup (about a week before showtime). It was supposed to rain, so that's why you see canopies in the yard -- to cover the projectors. At the time, I was using (2) 80-25 Kalart Victors. Both used the newer halogen bulbs (200 watt), F1.6 lens, 2 blade shutter. Picture was ample bright in my opinion, no complaints from anyone else. Issues I found were with the screen (more below). First year was a double feature -- Peter Pan for kids, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (50's) for the adults. Ever year since we do a kids/adult setup. Last year got rained out, so for this year it's Toy Story for the kids, Beetlejuice for the adults.

I had come across a B&H 2592, (brighter) 250 watt Halogen bulb, 3 blade shutter, AND, faster F1.2 lens. I noticed quite a brighter picture with that setup, despite the 3 blade shutter. I attribute that to the faster lens and slightly brighter bulb.

I have since upgraded to a pair of military B&H 2585 (also known as the AML projectors, the ones sold new on Ebay from Iceco). Those projectors are essentially the same as the 2592, EXCEPT they have 2 blade shutters. This combination of shutter, lens speed, and bulb is probably the brightest you will find, aside from going to Xenon. I believe some of the Eiki's also made 2 blade shutters with a F1.2 lens/250 watt halogen, too.

Suffice to say, while the Kalart's did the job, these are much better.

Regarding the screen, the first year I used a nylon tarp I bought online (which was just under 12' x 16' by an inch or so). As much as I stretched it, as the night cooled, it "shrunk back", resulting in wrinkles. The next year, we laid it out in the sun all day and stretched it while hot/smooth. That helped a lot. We also painted the back black to avoid light passing through, and eventually painted a 2" black border on the screen. Last year we rebuilt the frame using 1' x 3' for lighter weight. It was anchored inside the bed of a truck for proper height, and anchored like crazy since at that size, it's essentially a kite in the wind.

Future improvements will be changing the screen material to something else -- still in the "what should I use" stage, but I will let you know what I come up with.

Hope some of this information helps you out!

Picture:

-

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2015 05:36 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, i find your set up very impressive especially how you have a screen for both flat and scope showing. I do find showing flat prints you can get carried away in how big you can get a picture with out it being dwarfed by your audience (being too big). Hence the reason i have two

I tend to show mainly 35mm as the picture quality is that much greater then Super 8 or 16mm. But then again if you get a good original 16mm flat print you're half way there.

I am actually trying to upgrade my screen as i have had outdoor screenings for a number of years. But i'm looking for a material which i can either leave outside which is weather proof. Which i can fold or roll up to protect it and is there when ever summer comes along.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC