8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Zeiss rewinders capacity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zeiss rewinders capacity
Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2017 03:52 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know the maximum reels size that can be used with these Zeiss rewinders?
Thank you.

-

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 30, 2017 08:47 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you ask the eBay seller to measure from the centre of the spool spindle to the base?
He obviously knows little about what he is selling.
With the supplied measurement you will be able to work out what size spools will fit.

--------------------
Maurice

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2017 09:14 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice suggests a very good idea.

Remember though, that would be only half circumference.

So, if the answer is 6.50 inches (6 & 1/2) then multiple that and get 14 inches. So the answer would be 2000 foot reel with a large standard hub.

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2017 09:32 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Luigi,
I`ve been watching them as well
I believe they are standard 8 as well!
Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 30, 2017 09:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 16mm Thomas Rigby Premier rewinder which can handle up to 2000ft (and 2200ft with a small centre) spools measures 7.5 inches from the centre of its spindles to the base plate.
The ones shown are designed for an editor and it seems doubtful that they would handle particularly large spools.
They are not suitable for standard 8 spools as they have a square shaft.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ze iss-Ikon-Winder-Rewind-Arms-For-Moviscop-16mm-Cine-Editor-Viewer/192364287035?hash=item2cc9ce143b:g:JdsAAOSwmnFZ42A6

--------------------
Maurice

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2017 09:43 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,
If you take a look at them on ebay you`ll see that they Have a round shaft before the square one to take standard 8mm as well!
I also have a set of winders very similar to these that will take 8mm as well as 16mm.

--------------------
James Wilson

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 30, 2017 10:18 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, James.
Yes, I see that as the 8mm spools are half the width of 16mm they only fit halfway onto the spindle.
Sorry for my mistake, never having seen such a thing.

--------------------
Maurice

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2017 11:53 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, they should handle up to 240mt spool if I remember right the one I had

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2017 12:58 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are 16mm, they have a square pins.
I took the photo from an ebay ad, but I was interested about this product in general, then I don't know if I would buy it from the ad of photo.
However, I had another confirmation, Fabrizio is right, thay are for 240mt.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 30, 2017 02:04 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Converts to 787ft, call it an 800ft spool. Not large enough for 16mm features.

--------------------
Maurice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2017 06:13 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
800ft/240mt is not much, that's true, but in my case can be Ok...
Also for these rewinders you can use the wood base method.

-

Or method of "hole":
https://arsenal-photo.com/ZEISS-IKON-Contarex-rewinder-good-condition

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2017 01:51 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know diameter of 800ft/240mt reel?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC