8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » In Praise Of Technicolor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In Praise Of Technicolor
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 23, 2017 02:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been recent comments about collecting faded, or even red, prints on, primarily, Super 8.

However, 16mm collectors have an added advantage of Technicolor prints, of which I have many, such as "High Society", "A Man For All Seasons" and the fantastic 5-reeler in 'scope of "West Side Story".

And, of course, there are loads of shorts available. I have, for instance, eleven titles from British Transport Films, and some fine films from BP, including the 6-part "History Of The Motorcar", and the superb 1961 Oscar winner "Guiseppina".

I understand that many of the leading sponsored film services used Technicolor as they were cheaper to print if a large run of copies were required.

16mm films also used another fade free colour process, Kodak's Kodachrome. This has vibrant colours but not quite as good visually as Technicolor. For instance, the old GB Film Library at one time only used Technicolor for their high rated films such as "Henry V" and "London Town", their other colour films were issued on Kodachrome. As black & white copies were cheaper to hire, few renters paid the extra for colour prints.

It is unfortunate that some older Technicolor prints tend to warp causing uneven take up. In such cases it is recommended that the film is twisted over as it leaves the projector and before it is affixed to the take-up spool. But don't forget this when it's time to rewind!

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2017 07:02 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice those are good points in favour of 16mm prints.

In fact I have suffered less faded 16mm prints than I have from Standard 8mm and Super 8mm copies.

I too have some of those BFT / BP prints the colour on them has held up to the ravages of time and projection very well indeed.

Another good tip is to always use a good condition heavy METAL spool for the take-up.

This ensures good torque and is much better at even take up with not only warped prints but good old black and white stock too.

Those bloody plastic spools tend to wind the film on slack and loose.
[Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC