8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Now, I'm Confused

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Now, I'm Confused
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 24, 2018 09:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure everybody will have been reading my 16mm posting about polyester film.

Today I was inspecting a 16mm feature just received, black & white on AG stock. (No date codes on AG stock). Out of its cans and it seemed to be polyester after the suggested test of holding sideways to a light source to see if translucent and even see the outline of your hand through it.

The leader of the second part had presumably suffered from a bad auto-load and had about 9-10 inches of damaged and pulled perforations. Really too much to repair so I cut out the section and re-joined on my CIR.

Before throwing it into my waste bin I tried to tear it apart, not really expecting it to do this as it appeared to be polyester.

To my amazement I was able to snap it very easily in many places.

So was it acetate?

According to many web-sites the test for polyester can be achieved four ways:-

1) The translucent test
2) Not likely to tear
3) Using polarising filters
4) Not able to use cement joins

Now I am most confused. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2018 12:58 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star and polyester stock are almost imposible to cut or tear by hand so if the film is tear apart is not polyester is vinyl acetate.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2018 07:01 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Maurice

My advice is stick with the criteria you mentioned but just numbers 2,3 and 4 - as I stated in your other post I was nearly fooled into selling Mark my spare 16mm print of County Hospital which looked so much like polyester - translucent on the reel and flat as a pancake - but tested as acetate when torn at the start of the countdown leader and then successfully spliced with a cement splicer.

Kevin.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 25, 2018 10:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice, Kevin
The oft mentioned suggestion of holding the spool sideways up to the light certainly does not seem to be a reliable check for polyester.
I've proved it.

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2018 01:30 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe holding up to the light is not a check for polyester, but it is an excellent and very easy way to check for splices an film damage. My experience is that it works on all 16mm film base.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC