8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Portrait Of Lee Marvin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Portrait Of Lee Marvin
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 25, 2019 01:03 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I ran this old 16mm TV print with a length of 1728ft and a running time of 48 minutes.

The film was made as a on set interview when making "Paint Your Wagon" and is dated 1969. Although the print is now badly faded, I have been unable to find any other material on the internet, regarding this particular film and most importantly the "lengthy interview". Lee Marvin talks about his life, his coming to Hollywood and his films made up to this interview in 1969.

It might be in fact, that this particular film/interview could be rare, and as such even though its faded will not be thrown out. I will see what can be done with this print to color correct it, with the possibility of up-loading the contents to you-tube for those that would like to see and hear it. Anyway here are a couple of photos from last night. The print has no scratches or splices, and runs through the projector perfect.

I last ran this film well over 20 years ago, back then the color was still ok.
 -
 -
On the set of "Paint Your Wagon"
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 27, 2019 01:03 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple more stills taken from the film the other night...
 -

Lee Marvin also talks about his wartime WW2 experence in the Pacific, and how in later years was to make "Hell In The Pacific" along with actor Toshiro Mifune who also in real life had served in the Pacific during WW2.

I still think "Hell In The Pacific" was one of Lee Marvin best films. Its strange to think, that with a title like that it would be an action packed typical war movie. Its not, in fact the total opposite.
 -

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 27, 2019 09:32 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

I would love to see this interview. 4 years later, He gave what I think was his best performance....as Hickey in The Iceman Cometh.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 28, 2019 02:15 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a great reel to have.As you say,its a shame its now faded but at that age its to be expected. Lee Marvin is one of my favourite actors with the classic dirty dozen and point blank, the klansman and shout at the devil,(to list a few), being among some of my favourite films.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 28, 2019 01:20 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug

I will see what I can come with for a transfer in the coming weeks.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 03, 2019 01:07 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug

I thought I would just set up the camera yesterday and take it as is..

Part One

https://youtu.be/rWcDgXcexuY

Part Two

https://youtu.be/yAwp54WQ4r4

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 03, 2019 08:55 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Thank you so much!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 03, 2019 11:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome Doug [Smile]

Stuart Finkelstein
Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2019 01:49 PM      Profile for Stuart Finkelstein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance you'd sell Lee Marvin?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 04, 2019 02:52 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Stuart not for sale.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2019 12:30 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are you keeping a red print? I thought all red prints should go in the dumpster?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 05, 2019 03:25 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on how rare the film is and what historical content it contains.

The fact is that so far, I cant find this particular interview anywhere else. Its not like "Star Wars" which is the run of the mill film that you can buy anywhere in its digital restored format at the local store.

What does make this film important and not to throw out is the fact that its about an interview with Lee Marvin, his life up to that point in 1969. That recording might simply not exist anywhere else.

The film really should go back to somewhere eg say a film museum for preservation.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2019 09:12 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
When did it come a pick and choose? Wasn't the thinking all red prints should be dumped.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 05, 2019 09:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian

Back in the topic "Scrapping Faded Prints" . On March 15th 2018 I said...

Quote.. Taking badly run of the mill faded prints... "unless the content is really rare"... out of circulation can only improve the chances of collectors here and elsewhere, who have fading prints of a particular title, can only make it much easier in the long run to find a replacement in better condition.

Note..."unless the content is really rare" bit

The 16mm print "Portrait of Lee Marvin" at the present falls into that category.

Also "its not run of the mill" that film would have come to NZ at a guess, in the late 60s early 1970s for TV transmission. Back in those days that would have been "Black and White" so even though it was in color it would have only ever shown in B/W.

There is always a possibility that any future Blu-ray release of "Paint Your Wagon" could include this film into the special features. That would be up to "Paramount" and the copyright holder. This print can easily be color corrected for that purpose.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2019 10:57 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
fair enough

good to see this rare print is in good hands.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC