8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm Bell & Howell TQ3 poor sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm Bell & Howell TQ3 poor sound
Barry Webb
Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2019 01:05 PM      Profile for Barry Webb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all just servicing a Bell & Howell TQ3 just replaced the worm gear thats about 12 done now getting a pro lol.
My problem is with the sound its output is low and very distorted cleaned all the optics even tried the bulb but still the same any pointers would be much appreciated.
Barry

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2019 04:18 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry
My first check would be the flywheel and sound drum to make sure they are free turning. If you have a mike, you can plug that in to see what quality of sound you get from the amplifier. Not the best check but easy to do.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2019 08:14 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also check the spring loaded rollers before/after the sound drum. The film should wrap tightly around the drum by means of these,otherwise garbled sound.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Jonathan Wood
Junior

- posted March 21, 2019 03:55 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry , have you cleaned the pots ? Could be a short somewhere ? If that doesn’t work I’d be inclined to swap out the amp and or input board. (Sounds like you have a few machines knocking about )

Interested to hear your doing your own worms gears, did you use the sprocket timing plate or use a work around ?

Best

Jon

Barry Webb
Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2019 01:22 PM      Profile for Barry Webb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your advise its nice to know there is help out there and keeping the hobby going strong.
Ok there is a update and fix,
After a long time testing just about everything it was the speaker there was rust around the coil from were it had been in a damp place so the speaker was working but the cone was stuck hence the poor sound.
Fitted a new replacement and now sound as it should its just something you dont check due to it working anyway thanks.
Barry

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC