8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Anscocolor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anscocolor
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2019 05:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought a 16mm feature that was originally filmed in Trucolor, the print is in Anscocolor.
The colours are still fabulous.
Was this colour process used for many 16mm releases?

[ July 17, 2019, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Maurice Leakey ]

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Paul Repar
Junior

- posted July 31, 2019 08:20 PM      Profile for Paul Repar   Email Paul Repar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,the answer to your question is no,not many were,your feature wouldn't happen to be The Last Command 1955 in Anscocolor,would it?It is a film I have been searching for a long time,they have all been red,but a forum member had a print of Command a few years back,in Anscocolor,but sold it.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 01, 2019 02:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
No.
It's a 1956 Republic Pictures production starring Yvonne De Carlo. "Flame Of The Islands".
The colour is still stunning and the scenes in the Caribbean are strictly gorgeous. [Smile]

--------------------
Maurice

Zachary Greenberg
Junior

- posted August 03, 2019 02:02 AM      Profile for Zachary Greenberg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great topic!
I've also come across 16mm FEATURES in Anscocolor (as well as Kodachrome) albeit extremely rarely. I've always wondered what the stories and provenances of these prints are - were they intended for theatrical exhibition, were they in-house studio prints of some sort, etc.? How long was Anscocolor even used?

I once came across a beautiful 16mm print of BONNIE AND CLYDE (!) in Anscocolor. Not a trace of color fade. Given the existence of this title, Ansco was definitely used at least in the late 60s (for features it seems!)...
I also once came across a 16mm Kodachrome print of THE AFRICAN QUEEN... All the collectors I've talked to seem to agree that 16mm Kodachrome prints must all be dupes because of Kodachrome's nature as a color reversal process (Ansco is also a reversal process?). But why would anyone back then, even a well-stocked lab, make a dupe of a FEATURE length film in Kodachrome out of all processes given its extraordinary expense?

I welcome any info anyone may have regarding these enigmatic 16mm Ansco and Kodachrome features!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 03, 2019 03:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago the G.B. Film Library, here in the UK, used Kodachrome for many of their J. Arthur Rank 16mm releases, only using Technicolor for their major films. This was because of the cost. Technicolor prices reduced as the number of prints ordered escalated.

For the following information I am indebted to Wikipedia.

Prior to World War II, Agfa color material was imported by Ansco in the USA who branded it Ansco Color and Anscochrome. When the war began supplies dried up so Ansco developed a similar color film in its own factory at Binghamton, New York.

Ansco Color was used on a few Hollywood movies:-

The Man On The Eiffel Tower 1949
Bwana Devil 1953
Kiss Me Kate 1953
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers 1954
Brigadoon 1954

The final film on this stock was "Lust For Life" in 1956.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC