8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Rolling Stones

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rolling Stones
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2011 06:45 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After Charlie’s my Darling or Gimme Shelter rock documentaries. If anyone can help please get in touch.

Best,

Rob.

|  IP: Logged

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2011 04:42 PM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Gimme Shelter" may turn up as a TV or Library print as I've seen many offered over the years usually faded although I have an extract on agfa that looks fine. So you may be lucky.

"Charlie is my Darling" was a film by Peter Whitehead commissioned by Andrew Loog Oldham the Stones manager at one time.Whitehead also filmed a number of Pop Promos with the Stones. There are various versions of the film, the first a "Directors Cut" if you will, a recut by Oldham that loses much of Brian Jones contribution and includes footage from a Stones concert in the Royal Albert Hall from another Whitehead film "Tonight Lets Make Love in London" and added music by "The Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra". It has only ever had a very limited release and never had TV showings or the like due to continuing ownership disputes between the Stones and Alan Klein who took over from Oldham as their manager.So there were never many print's. A hybrid version which loses some of the music from the original due to further rights issues was released on video by Sony when they were the Stones record company. A version was shown at the NFT some years ago with Mr Jaggers permission so maybe that dispute is resolved.

There was a pirated 16mm release in the USA of the original version of CimD from someone that also offered "Stones in The Park" so there may be prints from that source knocking about.

The TAMI show with the Stones headlining also turns up now and again.

Given that the Stones seem to be mining their back catalogue and recently released " Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones" a 1970's in concert film which previously had had only one showing in the UK they may issue a restored version of "Charlie", although it is unlikely to make its way to 16mm.

The footage I would like to see is the test footage shot by Giorgio Gomelsky the Stones first manager who hoped to do a version of "A Clockwork Orange" starring them. Also a film released in Germany as "The Rolling Stones Story" which is just a compilation of their promo films, saw it on a holiday years ago and it is a great record of their work.

[ June 06, 2011, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Joe McAllister ]

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC