8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Muray transformer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Muray transformer
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2019 06:40 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long shot I suppose, but can anyone help me with a transformer for a Muray editor? I don't think it matters whether it is from an 8mm or 16mm model as I'm sure they are the same.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 28, 2019 08:36 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry,

With a little luck, this could be a standard part that you can buy brand new today, but you need to understand the specs.

You know your line voltage already, it's the output voltage and VA that are a question. Is this a motorised editor, or is the transformer just powering the lamp?

If it's just the lamp, then the transformer output voltage is the rated lamp voltage. The tranformer VA is at least the wattage of the bulb.

Other question: why do you believe you need a new transformer?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2019 12:24 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help Steve. Input is 240v - output is 25v which just powers the lamp (25w).
The reason I suspect the tranny is that it blows a fuse when switched on and all the wiring looks to be in excellent condition. Having said that so does the tranny, but I cannot see what else it could be.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 28, 2019 06:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A transformer is a pretty respectable candidate for something like that. They have a pretty interesting characteristic: one might have several hundred windings, and if any one of them develops a short circuit, ALL of them will act like they are shorted!

-but: if there is a short across the secondary side it will be reflected to the primary and pop a fuse.

It would be nice if you can remove some wires and isolate sections of the thing and see where the trouble starts.

Oh, another transformer funny: never look for short circuits around tranformers with an Ohmeter. A transformer is an AC device and will look like a short to a DC Ohmeter seven days a week!

Here's a 240V to 24V, 50VA tranformer. (What's a volt among friends?). I doubled the power so it runs cool.
Does it look like what's in there now?

50VA Transformer

(Naturally, when we get close you'll want a vendor closer to home.)

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2019 02:10 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Steve. You're definitely the man when it comes to anything electric. Such an asset to this forum.
Yes that does look as though it would do the job, but shipping costs would be prohibitive. What I am hoping for is someone having a redundant or damaged editor that they will let go at a reasonable price.
Standard/Regular 8 models are by far the least desirable, so I think that my best option is to find one and just hope that the transformer is good.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2019 03:55 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A capacitor or transistor in the power supply could also cause the fuse to fail, I had a norisound projector that had such a problem.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 29, 2019 05:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a transformer on eBay.
230volts to 24volts at 25VA for £18.99 post free. (25VA is 25 watts.)
Steve's suggestion is a transformer at 50VA (50 watts), this is available at a slightly higher price of £21.99.

https://www.eb ay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Machine-Tool-Transformer-voltage-input-240-415-output-12-24-48-110-230/232479492148?hash=item3620db8834:m:mCD6iNsNx3X_206AefJCMwA

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2019 07:12 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
No transistors or capacitors in these Editors. Very simple circuits that just power the lamp, so only the transformer to go wrong really.
Maurice
Thanks for the link. Seems Steve was correct, they are readily available so that's a possible solution.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 29, 2019 10:01 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if nothing else it's always good to have Plan "B".

It's pretty simple when it's a single secondary transformer and a common voltage. Where you start to have problems is when there are multiple different secondaries and all the windings have to make the right voltages, and then you throw on top of that it has to be the exact shape and mounting and connection style. This is why replacing the main transformer on a projector can be such a headache.

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2019 12:25 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
No transistors or capacitors in these Editors. Very simple circuits that just power the lamp, so only the transformer to go wrong really.
Maurice
Thanks for the link. Seems Steve was correct, they are readily available so that's a possible solution.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2019 12:40 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC