8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » Looking for a nice RCA projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for a nice RCA projector
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2009 08:32 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that just about says it all. Would love to get my hands on one, - especially like the model in Jean-Marc's convention photo. However, if anyone comes across an RCA projector for sale, please let me know. Any 16mm model with sound considered.

Many thanks,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 27, 2009 01:45 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been one or two of these on Ebay over the past year or so. Keep an eye on the listings as they do turn up occasionally.

-Mike

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 27, 2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, would you like me to track this particular model? I don't know the dealer but I know another person who does...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2009 04:44 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc,

Thank you for your consideration. I would certainly be interested in what he has to say about it. You know - the usual things regarding quality; mechanical, electrical and cosmetic condition etc. etc.

Also I would need to know if it runs at silent speed as well as sound speed. My Elmo 16-CL only runs at sound speed, so I can't use it for silent films - a bit of a drawback. Therefore, if I am doing an evening of either silents only, or some of each, it's the Ampro!.....which I love anyway.

I'm a bit anxious that, from the photo, it looks to be in pristine condition, and whilst I like my projectors to be that way, it could be way too expensive. However, if he wants to off-load it for a not too ridiculous price, it might be do-able.

Unfortunately, I will be away for the next few days, not returning till Saturday late afternoon. Hope that doesn't cause a problem.

With many thanks and kindest regards,

--------------------
Dave.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2009 02:35 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc,

Just wondered if you have had any success in tracking the RCA projector for me yet.

No hurry, just interested in the state of play.

Many thanks and kindest regards,

--------------------
Dave.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 02, 2009 03:41 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I've seen the projector with my own eyes, up close, including the inner parts and it does look in good condition. Don't know how it runs, though. I haven't found the dealer yet.

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2009 05:02 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Thanks Jean-Marc.

I'll leave it with you.

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2009 04:02 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave
I have an RCA projector that you could buy if you want.
Its in Australia though.
Let me know if you are interested.
Dogtor
Projector Heaven.

dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2009 02:07 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank and welcome to the Forum.

It might be an idea to let me know full details, including cosmetic as well as technical condition - always a good idea to have a second option up one's sleeve.

Thanks for the thought and best regards,

--------------------
Dave.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 06:16 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Frank,

You have an e-mail,

--------------------
Dave.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 06:20 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc,

Have you had any luck in tracking down the RCA projector yet?

Best regards,

--------------------
Dave.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2009 11:40 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
If I found the right picture, that RCA dates back to the mid-1940s and was pre-Jan military release. The US Army version was painted olive drab and the US Navy version was brown. You can easily spot them by the exciter lamp cover which was replaced by a square enclosure on later consumer models. The flywheel had a viscous fluid that provided the dampening for sound stability. They had a tube amp with octal base tubes which also helps date it.

A heavy duty projector that was put under tremendous strain in various projection environments and survived. These were quite common back in the 1970 as government surplus and have all but disappeared from the market today.

John

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2009 03:33 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, John. Possibly a bit rare then, - however, I'd still like one though!

I hope that Jean-Marc can find the dealer whose machine we are talking about, though I haven't heard back from him for a few days. I guess he's finding it difficult to track him down - please keep looking, Jean-Marc!

Thanks.

--------------------
Dave.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 17, 2009 08:53 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, yes, the dealer isn't in the Paris area and my contact is currently abroad. Will keep you posted if anything new happens.

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2009 11:51 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Jean-Marc. Thank you. I can't ask for anything more at this stage. I'll look forward to hearing from you 'as-and-when'.

Kindest regards,

--------------------
Dave.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 25, 2009 01:14 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Have you seen this listing?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vintage-rca-hollywood-16mm-projector-valve-amplifier_W0QQitemZ110356117144QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories?hash=it em110356117144&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

-Mike

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2009 10:22 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but this isn't a standard optical sound projector. It looks like this is one of the rare RCAs that actually will run in reverse and that little mixing panel on the back MAY mean it's the even rarer RCA recording magnetic sound/optical playback machine.

If that's what it is, it would certainly be a collectiable. It's later than the military projector from the convention, but rare.

John

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2009 09:07 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have seen it, - - - but not much use without the arms, though!

Although the price is OK, & no bidders yet, the problem would be to find the correct arms; not easy I suspect!

Thanks anyway. I'm still pinning my hopes on Jean-Marc.

--------------------
Dave.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2009 03:30 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
There were two types of arms. The first screwed in and were normally stored in the speaker cover. The later version were attached and swung down for storage (and back for the take up).

Finding them might not be as difficult as you think (somewhere I think I've got a feed arm, but it's been years since I've run across it). The projector itself can run without the arms, you can feed from a rewind and fashion a take-up device.

John

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2009 08:33 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for the info, John. I'll keep my eyes open and make a few enquiries. We'll see what happens. They certainly do seem to be well built sturdy machines.

Best regards,

--------------------
Dave.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 18, 2009 03:32 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I finally found the dealer. He's in Toulon, near Marseille, in the south of the country.
Now, the bad news is that he's asking for 650 euros for the machine and that he's not particularly eager to do any shipping abroad. Having the projector sent to me and then shipping it to you could add an extra 120 euros to the price tag. To be honest, it's too bulky and heavy, so I really don't see myself carry it on the Eurostar next time I'm going to Margate.
I think the price is too high for this projector, even in perfect running condition.

--------------------

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2009 04:06 AM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,

This probably isn't what you're looking for, is it?
http://link.marktplaats.nl/235876332
It is a RCA projector, but looks rather plastic.

Hans

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2009 05:03 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc,

I think you're absolutely right, but thank you so much for carrying out the investigation. Obviously the weak pound against the euro doesn't help either.

Hi Hans,

Thanks anyway, but no. That's not the one!

Kindest regards,

--------------------
Dave.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 18, 2009 12:58 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, there's one on Ebay UK right now. Search for item 140320716336.

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2009 06:21 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc,

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll certainly keep an eye on it.

By-the-way, it was great to meet and chat with you on Saturday. I think we're all agreed that it was a "grand-day-out".

All the best,

Cheers,

--------------------
Dave.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC