8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elf SLE-NT3

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elf SLE-NT3
Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2018 06:14 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to all Forum Members,
I am looking to purchase a decent 16mm projector, something on the lines of an
Elf SLE-NT3, unless you know of a better projector. Has anyone got something for sale. The projector would have to be sent by courier or available within a 75 mile radius of Barrow in Furness. Please let me know. Thanks in advance,
Clive

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 11, 2018 07:52 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clive,
That sounds like the sort of model name that Phil uses on CHC lists, but could cause confusion because it isn't exactly what any of the 'last generation' of Elf/Eiki projectors were called. E.g. the rare and highly sophisticated model that you may have seen at CHC during the Sale Weekend is actually a ENT-3.

Elf/Eiki projectors with model names ending in 3 are the hardest to find because they include recording facilities (on magnetic stripe) and of course magnetic playback as well as optical. So a key question is whether you wish to do any such recording, because a projector offering this is likely to cost you considerably more.

Those ending in 2 play films with magnetic sounds, so are worth a bit more than those ending in 1, which only offer optical. Elf/Eiki models starting with E have the electronic touch switches and associated refinements. These are VERY hard to find and generally sell for high prices when they are very occasionally offered. So of the last generation models, SNTs and SSLs (slot load) are the ones with a conventional rotary switch, and are not quite so hard to find, although there are far more NTs from the previous generation around.

So, if you would be content with an NT (which are relatively 'square' in shape and have a mostly black casing), it should cost you less and you might obtain one sooner.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2018 08:22 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian, Yes, that is where I had seen it, and was going off what he had put on his sales list. It was sold last weekend, I couldn't really justify spending that much on a projector, but liked the looks of it. Im not sure what I want really, which doesn't help. Maybe I will come across something, but thanks for your input.
Clive

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 11, 2018 10:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil's description of an SLE NT3 seems incorrect.

I assume he is referring to a Slimline Eiki with slot load and electronic push button control, This has optical/magnetic plus magnetic record. If so, this is actually an ESL-3.

I have a Slimline slot loader with electronic push button control and optical & magnetic playback, this is an ESL-2.

Here's an eBay ad for an ESL-2.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EIKI-ESL-2-SLOT-LOAD-PUSH-BUTTON-OPT-MAGNETIC-REBUILT-SERVICED-GUARANTEED/113184845968?hash=item1a5a57b090:g:ckMAAOSwoSFbP22A

--------------------
Maurice

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2018 11:45 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice, The projector that Phil had was similar to the one in the link you sent, but the controls seemed to be arranged in a square not in a line, but thanks for your input.
Clive

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 11, 2018 12:36 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned above, it was actually a ENT-3 that Phil had. I'd guess that his version of the model number tried to convey 'slim line' but this can easily be mistaken for slot load. The ENT series is the superb autothread equivalent of the ESLs that Maurice refers to.

Interesting to hear that someone bought Phil's ESL-3 last weekend. I was mildly tempted and took a look at it (knowing I might never see another) but I'd have been paying for recording facilites I don't need and someone else may have greatly valued, and I also think the 3 isn't as attractive as the 1 or 2, as it grafts on the 'chunky' feet of the NT series, in order to create added space at the bottom to house the recording inputs/controls.

A European ESL-2 remains my 'holy grail' of projectors, although I eventually obtained a ESL-1 from the USA that I can only use with a step down transformer. The eBay listing that Maurice has provided the link to is exceptionally rare. I've only once ever seen an ESL offered in Europe, and that was a severely battered one that lacked a front cover. So basically, an SNT or a SSL is a much less formidable aspiration!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 11, 2018 02:21 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to some Eiki/Elf projectors, of current interest is the one at the top.
http://www.k3camera.com/k3/eiki-16mm-projector-gallery.php

--------------------
Maurice

Keith Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2018 03:52 PM      Profile for Keith Wilson   Email Keith Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here is the link to the Eiki history and all the projectors made

https://eishaki.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/eiki-16mm-projectors/

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2018 11:51 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links Maurice and Keith, both very interesting

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC