8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Theme Park Dangerous Rides

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Theme Park Dangerous Rides
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 14, 2005 11:05 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A British teenager is in critical condition after suffering cardiac arrest on the Tower of Terror ride at Disney/MGM studios here in Orlando. She had no prior medical condition. This follows the death of a young boy last month on the Epcot Mission Space ride on June 13. So what is going on here? Have the rides become so extreme that the acceleration, shock, and vibration forces are at a dangerous level for some people? Have ride designer's pushed the envelope just a little too far? I have been on the Tower of Terror several times. It simulates a malfunctioning elevator in an old 1920's hotel, and the finale is a free fall through about 20 stories. I can certainly believe that this would possibly precipitate a hidden medical condition. So if any of you are coming to Orlando I would recommend that you study the ride notices very carefully, because today's rides are definately more stressful to the body than just a few years ago. If you have high blood pressure, heart or back problems, choose your rides very carefully! There are thrill rides here in Orlando that I would certainly not go on.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2005 01:07 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Where is the Epcot Mission Space Ride located? Is this a new one or something that has been remodeled from a previous ride?

I don't understand what has happened to good rides such as Space Mountain?
The Tower of Terror is very well planned and the special effects prior to the 'drop' are very realistic.

In all, I miss the tribute to World of Motion, which was designed by Disney Animator Ward Kimball. It had a very nice whimsical history of the automobile in America.
However it has been replaced by the GM Test Track at speeds of up to 60mph?

Incidentally, Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson New Jersey has opened a new steel roller coaster that soars higher than the Statue of Liberty?

It all seems insane to me.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 14, 2005 03:08 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say as the tower of terror ride has been around for many years,( my children and i have all had several goes) i'd suggest these are isolated cases. tens of Thousands of people have been on these and other much faster rides in the past. The media will now blow it out of all proportion.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 14, 2005 03:09 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,
The Mission Space ride is located at Disney's Epcot park. It simulates a space launch by mounting groups of 4 people into enclosed modules. The modules have a TV type monitor and simulated controls. All the modules are mounted onto the arms of a centrifuge (unseen by guests) which spins up during "launch" and produces the G-loading as the monitor displays a simulated view of leaving earth and approaching Mars. The centrifuge is said to produce a continuous 2-g loading, which means if you weigh 160 lbs as I do, you feel like a 320 lb person. Lots of people have become quite disorientated and sick on this ride, so each module has barf bags. Astronaut's from the Cape have said that it is a pretty realistic simulation of what a shuttle launch feels like.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 14, 2005 07:08 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, let's not get too sensationnal here. These things happen, unfortunately, despite planning, safety calculations and all the engineering. The large warning signs at the entrance of each ride are there for a good reason. Most people respect them. Some people don't. Other people just don't know that they might have a particular physical condition...

Keep in mind that more than 95% of the accidents happening at amusement parks are foul-play-related. People forcing themselves out of safety restraints is a classic. The largest number of accidents usually occur on small kiddie rides. The rides are safe. People... Well, that's a different story.

ToT has been open for ten years. 2000 people ride this attraction every hour. The park is open 8 hours per day (average), 365 days per year. Do the math. This is the first time that such an accident happen.
As Tom says, this is an isolated case.

Rides in Florida are nice and thrilling but they are not of the extreme type.

Michael: the coaster in Great Adventure is KingdaKa. It's 456 feet tall and launches you at 128 mph. It's still being fine-tuned, so down-time is frequent.
A 200ft version is coming to Thorpe Park (near London) next year.

JMT

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2005 12:09 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

Thanks for the analysis and insight on the rides, it was helpful and appreciated.
[Smile]

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 15, 2005 06:16 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an Akronite, I've been to Cedar Point in Sandusky (OH) many times with my wife... and we love going on all the extreme rides (mostly rollercoasters). The one ride, however, that truly scares the wits out of me everytime is the one with the little carriages slowly moving on a rope high above ground (each one seats 4 people). I always imagine that somehow, someday, either the roller is gonna jump off the rope or the whole carriage is gonna snap off its center rod and fall to the ground!! [Eek!]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 16, 2005 04:41 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, interesting comment as I (kinda) feel the same.
I try to test everything, ride the spin'n'spews at least once to "see what they do", did skycoasters, slingshots and bungee several times, aiming at freefalling within the next few months but still feel uneasy with chairlifts... [Smile]
Have you been to KIngs Island and Geauga Lake?

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 16, 2005 11:30 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CHAIRLIFTS! Thank you, I could not think of the word for these things. (It's rather telling when a Frenchman has to help me out with my English. [Big Grin] )
Have not been to Geauga Lake (yet), and I don't even know where King's Island is... [Confused]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2005 12:38 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Kings Island is in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 16, 2005 07:07 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes KI is in Cincinnati...
Jan, you're actually closer to Kennywood, in Pittsburgh, PA. Fantastic traditionnal park.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC