8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What's your Halloween Line-Up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's your Halloween Line-Up?
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 04, 2005 12:52 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Halloween film/party each year. This year's line up is a couple of previews, a Mighty Mouse cartoon, and a possible music clip(swing). The feature presentation is Young Frankenstein. This years format is 16mm. I've done super 8 for the last three years. I'm showing 16mm because I do not have a super 8 print of a horror film that I have not shown(maybe next year). [Smile] There will be food and drinks for all and a rollicking good time!! [Wink]

"I think it was Abbey something....., Abbey Normal". And don't forget.."What Hump"? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2005 10:48 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Young Frankenstein" is a great choice for a feature, Dan. Black & white for that gothic look and it is always screamingly funny.

My Halloween line-up includes a Fleischer Superman cartoon ("The Mummy Strikes!"), a Bugs Bunny cartoon ("Hair-Raising Hare") and then a feature: "The Devil Bat" (1940) with Bela Lugosi, all on super 8. As you can see, I'm going for cheesy, unintentional laughs (fake giant bats attracted to aftershave) rather than comic genius.

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 04, 2005 01:43 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been trying to get a good super 8 scope feature of Halloween for a long time, if it had what beter choice on the night? [Wink]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 04, 2005 02:07 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm torn between the Super 8mm prints of "Poltergeist" (scope) and "Night of the Living Dead". I tried to get a 16mm print of 1963's "The Haunting" on eBay , but it went for way too much. Then again, there's always the old favorite "The Fog".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Doug, did you see that "The Fog" has been remade to include CGI effects and updated scantily-clad women? SGB

--------------------

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2005 02:24 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Selected condensations ("The Exorcist," "The Wolfman," "SSSS") and trailers followed by a well-used print of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" that looks like it came off the drive-in theatre circuit. Just perfect.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 04, 2005 06:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I don't have anything Halloween-ish to show yet... I do have Young Frankenstein on 16mm, alas only the 2nd out of 3 reels. Hmm. Then there's Harold Lloyd in Haunted Spooks (super-8) and not much else. Oh, what will I do!! [Eek!]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 04, 2005 08:18 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, like Kurt said, digests work great! I did digests a couple of years ago. I watched the compilation again a couple of nights ago and was fun. Psycho is an eeeeexcellent digest. The Island(2x400) is really good too. Also, the Wolfmans, Frankensteins and Mummies. [Eek!]

Check these out;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitchcocks-The-Birds-Super-8-Film-in-Colour-Sound_W0QQitemZ6437353577QQcategoryZ1476QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Destination-Inner-Space-Super-8-8mm-Sound-OB-monster_W0QQitemZ6437497510QQcategoryZ63821QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Frankenstein-Conquers-The-World-Super-8-8mm-Sound-OB_W0QQitemZ6437498444QQcategoryZ63821QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-8-Earthquake-Heston-Gardner-colour-sound_W0QQitemZ6438671081QQcategoryZ1476QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 04, 2005 09:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

I just saw the TV commercial for "The Fog" yesteday. I had no idea there was a remake in the works. I like Carpenter's film and the print is beautiful. I just wish the ending was a bit stronger.

Dan,

Do you like the Psycho 400' digest? I feel it's one of U-8's poorer efforts.

Doug

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 04, 2005 10:42 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, I thought it cut to the chase(oh boy! There I go again). In that amount of time the digest showed all the gore. I guess if you had not seen the whole movie before it could be a bit confusing to follow a plot. It does project a sharp image and great sound. Reek, reek, reek, reek and all that jazz.

Roger Manning Jr
Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2005 05:27 PM      Profile for Roger Manning Jr   Email Roger Manning Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I started my Outdoor "October film fest" last sat. Oct. 1st with "The Hound of the Baskervilles" 1939

Sat. Oct. 8th will be " The Invisible Man's Revenge" 1944

Sat. Oct. 15 Double feature night "Frankenstein"1931 & "The Mad Ghoul"1943

Sat. Oct. 22 "The Bride of Frankenstein"1935

Sat. Oct. 29 " The Thing from another world"1951

along with alot of shorts, cartoons & trailers

All 16mm prints

Roger

--------------------
Roger Manning Jr.

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2005 10:43 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome line-up, Roger! Please tell me that "The Thing from Another World" was released as a feature on super 8! Anyone?

SGB

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 05, 2005 11:27 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Scott......... yes it was. I have a full length print of "Thing" on Super 8mm. I'll check it shortly to let you know which company released it.
Doug

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC