8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Retaliation feedback at Ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Retaliation feedback at Ebay
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 19, 2006 07:50 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I just recently ahd a bad experience from an Ebay seller (not 8mm items) where I won his no-reserve auction but he refused to sell the item by saying that the price did not reach his expectation. He then asked me to p[ay trpled from the final price if I insit to have that item. It obviusly abuses Ebay's rules. I approched him nicely and has reported him to Ebay as non-performance seller.

He finally sent me an abusive reply by saying that I was looking for a cheap item!. [Mad]

Now, I want to give him a learn by leaving him a negative feedback. But if I do so, he can also leave the same, while I did not do any mistake.

Ebay has confirmed that it cannot refrain a member to leave feedback to another member.

So my question is can Ebay remove a retaliation negative feedback?

What sort of solution had been discussed regarding a retaliation act, lately?
thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 19, 2006 08:50 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebay in some circumstances will remove negative feedback. Im not sure what the conditions are but in my case the buyer hadn't paid and it had been 4 days. When I asked him to pay he asked me if I could contact another seller that he was involved in an auction with and combine shipping to his home in India!
It was an obvious scam so I left him feedback. "Deadbeat bidder. Does not pay."
His reply was "He doesn't play fair!"
I contacted ebay and they contacted him. He had no feedback and he wouldn't reply to any emails from Ebay. So they cancelled his Ebay name and withdrew the feedback he left for me.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 19, 2006 09:30 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had that about year ago when I was ripped off for a largish amount, he was a square trader and although I complained ebay did nothing at all even to the point of when they replied to my emails they mentioned nothing at all abut what I said or what happened etc at all and talked nonsense, it was very strange.
Anyway after I left a neg to protect others as I probably mentioned before he did likewsie with many a fib, amazing, ebay were worse than useless.
If you haven`t actually lost any money Winbert I`d just leave it as is and don`t leave a feedback or agree a possitive one each with him or non etc.
Best Mark.

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2006 09:39 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it always best to be honest and leave negative feedback for people who abuse the ebay system. In the event that they leave you retaliatory feedback, you can always respond to their feedback (your response will appear directly below their comment in your list of feedback) and say for the benefit of the community that you have received this negative feedback from an abusive and immature ebayer who did you wrong and that you were not at fault in the transaction. Negative feedback is a hard price to pay for other people's negligence and callousness, but it does help the community at large by alerting others to troublesome individuals (and there are lots of them, it seems!)

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 19, 2006 10:22 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy to say, but if it's clear from eBay's point of view that someone has abused the rules with regard to a specific item, they should immediately remove what is clearly retaliatory feedback if asked to do so. If that was the case, we would have far more warning with regard to disrepuatble people, as far more negative feedback would be left in connection with them.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 19, 2006 10:38 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well yes it should be easy to get a negative off from a duff seller etc, but ebay don`t seem to be able to get to solutions easily, as long as they get the cash.
With a rip off like mine at least they should have sent me the ebay fees and paypal fee`s they took, but no way Hos`e.
The ripp offs being done on ebay some really big time with repeat offenders and ebay seem to consider its OK to keep all of the fees etc they got from those transaction`s, its an odd old going on.
Best Mark.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 19, 2006 11:32 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far things with Ebay have been pretty good. However did you notice the little "Paypal Protected" symbol on some auctions? I never did till my last auction for my older computer I sold. The buyer said he felt it wasn't represented correctly. I felt it was and told him to use Paypal's resolution center. I told him he was "Paypal Protected".
Well I found out what "Paypal Protected" meant. That meant that if there is a dispute, Paypal will play as mediator. They send emails, you send emails and they decide. If they decide in favor of you,(the defender) the accuser will not get a Paypal refund. However if they decide in favor of they accuser then they will refund their money and you will in turn owe Paypal the money!!
What? I dont feel comfortable with Paypal deciding if I owe money or not. And it gets worse. If the accuser decides to do a credit card chargeback and it is granted by the Credit Card company..then you still will owe Paypal money!
I am lucky in that I have not had to deal with this situation in the past but it does loom out there...

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2006 12:54 PM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, on the PayPal protected I understand if your PP a/c is in credit they take the refund out of that.
Just in case things ever went wrong for me I transfer money recieved quickly out of PP. So if ever an unfair dispute arises PP have to ask for the money and thus gives time to put my case and sort things out. Once they have the money I guess I would find it hard to get it back.
For the record I've only had 3 slight come backs from buyers and these were 2 sorted out by ourselves to the satisfaction of all concerned. The third was just a newbie timewaster rather than a con., they bid on two identical items from 2 sellers and won both, I was the one they choose not to pay.
I did go into a dispute with a non sending seller who PP got to send the item, but when arrived was incomplete, works but a cover and lead missing, but PP would not do anything about that. I left a negative feedback, got a possitive from them, but they made no response to my negative. Shortly after they became a ceased Ebay member, do not know if done by themselves or Ebay/PP.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2006 02:19 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting back to the original question.

This guy has definitely gone against the rules of ebay and asking you to pay three times again is a bloody cheek to say the least, [Mad] it was his fault that he started to low and had no reserve on.

As has been said these total ankers can leave you negative back as a form of retaliation, and ebay being the (don't give a sod as long as we have made money type of company), still looking for a shortened word for that, [Wink] will do nothing.

So this is what you do.

All feed back must be given within a time frame, i believe it is 90 days, so a minute before midnight of the last day leave him full feedback. He wont be able to return. [Big Grin]

Make a note of it on your PC or mobile phone as a reminder.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 21, 2006 06:45 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All feed back must be given within a time frame, i believe it is 90 days, so a minute before midnight of the last day leave him full feedback. He wont be able to return. [Big Grin]
BRILLIANT!!! I love it!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 22, 2006 01:49 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, you wicked, wicked man. Nice strategy.

In the end, what's a negative feedback? minus one on your profile score... So what?

If you had nothing but negative feedback, It would be worrying, but I don't think that one (or two) lost in the middle of plenty of positive, friendly and enthusiatic feedbacks will really hurt your Ebay business.

If you need to leave a negative feedback and if the other party retaliates, well, let the other Ebayers be the judge. I always read the profile of the persons I deal with. You can decipher who left a valid negative feedback and who simply wanted to be dishonest.

OK, it's easy for me to say, I don't have any "-". But I had some transactions gone wrong. Some ended up in neutral feedbacks, some ended up in no feedbacks at all. One - in progress - might end up in me leaving a "-" to the seller (who already left me a "+" so I'm quite covered on this end.)

Winbert, your claim is valid. Report the guy to Ebay and prepare yourself, this negative feedback might be the price to pay but you might contribute in the eviction of a bad player on Ebay.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 27, 2006 06:12 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

All feed back must be given within a time frame, i believe it is 90 days, so a minute before midnight of the last day leave him full feedback. He wont be able to return.

Chris, this has been in my mind...BUT... it seems that Ebay has set up a specific scheme (with a spesicific reason) that the timeframe is not EXACTLY 90 days. I have been seing my "live" purchase links after more than 90 days IF we still remember the item number.

Have a try with this and you will see what I mean. For my case, of course the seller will still remember his item #.

J-M and others here is the Ebay's answer to my complain, and truly they cannot do anything:
quote:

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay.

Some retaliatory feedback is a result of a misunderstanding between a
buyer and seller. Many of these misunderstandings can be cleared up with
a phone call or through Online Dispute Resolution. Additionally, we ask
you to let us know about the following situations: payment hasn't been
sent, the seller cancelled the transaction, or you haven't received the
expected item. More information about these options is provided later in
this email.

Please remember that eBay cannot prevent someone from retaliating when
you leave him or her a negative comment. This is why we so strongly
recommend trying to work with your trading partner in resolving any
problems. If we were to get involved and stop members from leaving
certain comments then feedback would no longer be a place for free and
open communication.

Fear of retaliatory feedback is an understandable concern. We can only
tell you that it's important to speak the truth about your experiences
dealing with another eBay member. If that means you feel it appropriate
to a leave negative comment - then you should leave it. Your comment may
prevent others from running into a similar situation with that member in
the future.

The feedback Forum is set up in such a way that retaliatory comments are
easily apparent. When a potential trading partner sees that you have a
large number of positive comments mixed in with a negative comment or
two, the positive comments you have received will always outweigh a
negative comment.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC