8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » M.Hulot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: M.Hulot
Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2006 06:35 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does any oof our panel happen to know ehere that classic M.Hulots Holiday was filmed??
I now it was France but does anyone know the location.... [Confused]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

|  IP: Logged

Bernard C. G. Pritchard
Junior

- posted July 10, 2006 07:47 AM      Profile for Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Author's Homepage   Email Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Introductory greetings to All!

I'm pleased to be able to provide an answer - in my first correspondence - to you Barry: Saint-Marc-sur-Mer (in the Loire-Atlantique) is, I believe, the film location for the wonderful, ahead of its time, undated, 'M. Hulot's Holiday'.
I have re-written this entry as I've just found some photos:
http://www.vjoncheray.com/phototheque/en/photos_coast_ouest_france/loire-atlantique/st_marc_mer/
and a map:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=France&city=saint-marc-sur-mer&zoom=6&size=big

I've been enjoying reading the lively, informative correspondence here; I'm afraid I was a bit too literal in the registration request to provide my full name, and can reassure you that I am a working-class lad (all right, man) from the West Midlands (Derann country).

These warm English evenings have been great for showing films in the garden, though some care is needed to mind the volume for the neighbours. I'm also a drummer, so I (or they) are used to it!

Could I put on record the helpful service recently provided by Paul Foster, providing a next-day service for a set of 1200HD belts.

I will probably become a nuisance as I have quite a few questions to ask, but I'll leave it for now.

Regards,

Bernie

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 10, 2006 08:54 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernie, welcome to the forum. Yes they are a lively, informative bunch on this forum and I'm sure you will soon join them.

Enjoy [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 10, 2006 10:02 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernie,

Greetings! It's nice to see a first posting that answers a member's query, especially one that relates to the brilliant Jacques Tati.
Anyone know if there are any of Tati's films available in 8mm?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 10, 2006 11:02 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bernard, bienvenue on le forum [Wink]

Doug: early Tati work, "L'Ecole des Facteurs" (Postmen school) and "Soigne ton gauche" (Watch your left hook, a boxing spoof) were available on 9.5 for the Cinette/Pathe system.

I don't know about other titles but that doesn't mean they weren't available. Maybe Les Grands Films Classiques released "Jour de Fete" and "Mr Hulot's Holidays" but I'm not sure. I doubt that "My Uncle", "Playtime" and "Traffic" have been released.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2006 12:51 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard,
Welcome to the forum.You will,as Kev said,find a liveley discussion board here.
A thousand thank yous for the website,will now be able to work on next years holidays!!

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 10, 2006 07:39 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Bernie [Smile] Please ask any and all questions you may have, as that is part of keeping the forum so alive [Smile]

As for Mr. Hulot's Holiday, I know for a fact it's available on 16mm as I have seen a 16mm print of it for sale on eBay. I didn't watch it to the end (the auction, that is) so don't know how much it sold for, etc. ... but what a fantastic movie. I saw it twice on TV many, many moons ago... OK, here it comes again... Oh, Deraaaaa-haaannn.......

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2006 07:42 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing: In the latest issue (#30) of our German film collectors magazine "MOVIE", there was a 4-page article on the location where "M. Hulot" was shot.

Jean-Marc,

Super 8 prints of "M. Hulot's Holiday" were offered by Morecraft Films around 1983/84, but it seems they were struck on colour stock.

By the way: I would love to have a print of Tati's short ""L'Ecole des Facteurs" (Postmen school) in my collection. Does anybody out there have one for sale? Otherwise: Wouldn't this make a great 400' Derann release?

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2006 11:36 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Bernie,

You've hit the ground running! [Smile]

Welcome to the Forum.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC