8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » home videos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: home videos
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2006 09:33 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone how do you think ones home videos would sell on ebay, we have all seen ones home movies (8mm/super 8) some how how i do not think they would sell as well as the original format would any thoughts?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 23, 2006 12:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they'd lack the nostalgic factor, since many of the 8mm home movies were shot in the 1960s, 1950s and sometimes even earlier.

Since the bulk of video footage would be from the 1980s and later, it would basically just be footage of strangers.

Of course there might be a market for home videos depending on the...ahem!...subject matter, but that's a different discussion altogether!

We have a friend that recently re-discovered some 8mm film in her aunt's house she hasn't seen since childhood. We plan to have a show for her some day soon!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2006 01:23 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if its a good high quality recording on the best quality tape, from the early 80's, it would hold some nostalgia value, just like any image from decades ago. BUT..... it will not have the magic of actual film.

Even when the two formats are recorded onto a DVD, the film images just have a special look and feel that cant be duplicated.

Nick.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 23, 2006 01:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really?

The 80's feel like about 10 minutes ago to me!

-but time flies when you're having fun!

Absolutely agree on the difference the film look creates...

--------------------

Alan Paterson
Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2006 02:53 PM      Profile for Alan Paterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chaps,
I'm guessing you haven't had the excruciating embarassment of sitting through someone else's home movies.
The moment of truth is when they ask you what you thought of their efforts.
Is it better to lie and retain a friend (who can't make a film to save himself)or to be an honest and true friend?
I never quite got that one right.
Alan

--------------------
If God had meant us to run, we'd have been born with spikes in our feet.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 23, 2006 09:50 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of like the joke that goes something like this...

"Go on, son, tell Aunt Martha how you like her new hat!" - "Daddy, am I supposed to be honest or polite now?"

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 23, 2006 10:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes you can tell the truth without telling the whole truth...

(Critical Marriage Skill!)

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 27, 2006 08:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post-script to the post above:

Our friend brought her Aunt out and we looked at her deceased Uncle's films. They were several 400 footers of Kodachromes from the late 1960s in wonderful condition.

The surprise of the night came when I slipped in an R8 200 footer and saw the first few seconds of a a vintage B&W Skin Flick!

Quite accidentally I uncovered a departed man's guilty pleasure with his widow there!

(Ooops!)

[ August 28, 2006, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC