8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » South Pacific

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: South Pacific
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 03, 2006 05:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few photos taken quickly with a hand held camera as the film was being played, hence a slight blurr of the image. I was impressed with the quality of the DVD, the projector is a Sanyo PLV-Z1 almost 4 years old hanging upside down from the ceiling with the lamp running on its lower power setting. The sceen size of South Pacific was approx 8ft wide by 4ft "Todd-AO" recently I upgraded to fitting 10 metere component input cables replacing the S-Video.
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2006 01:13 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good pictures.

I have the same projector, also ceiling mounted. I found that the zoom range wasn't quite wide enough for me so I made a custom mount out of bathroom towel railing that lets the machine slide backwards and forwards by 18 inches. The forward position is for widescreen movies, the back one for academy ratio.

Unfortunately the screen is only 6 feet wide; my wife put her foot down at anything bigger.

However I'll win in the end - she wants an extension to house her large book collection - I say only if it doubles as a cinema so that I can keep the cine and video set up permanently!

I meant to ask: do you have any issues with the component input? Sometimes I get blurring and have to go back to interlaced. It's either a loose phono socket in the machine or a dodgy cable.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 04, 2006 03:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stewart

Welcome to the forum

Stewart, good idea using a towel railing. I haven't had any problems, component should be better than S-Video just by connecting the leads. I must admit to being a bit sceptical when I first fitted them as to how much improvement over S-Video there was going to be, but by checking with the same DVD on both inputs there was a noticeable improvement. When you connected did you select component on the remote rather than auto? and just check your image selection is the same as you had for S-Video, it should be, but you never know, just a thought.

When I first bought the projector I spent so much time trying to adjust the image settings I got totaly confused [Eek!] and in the end landed back almost where I started and thats where its stayed. The Z1 is a remarkably good projector and have recieved very favourable comments about it even from Panasonic owners, and thats saying something. let us know how you get on.

Regards Graham. [Smile]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2006 06:33 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I made a custom mount out of bathroom towel railing
Cine enthusiasts always seem to be so resourceful! [Roll Eyes]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2006 06:46 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which DVD version of South Pacific have you?
These musical, Sound of Music, Oklahoma etc have so many issues out.
(For Oklahoma I have the double DVD version, one is from the 70mm Todd-AO film the other 35mm Cinemascope, surprisingly the Todd-AO version is awefull.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2006 12:52 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cine enthusiasts always seem to be so resourceful!
Necessity my dear chap!

I couldn't find one commercial mounting kit that allowed the machine to slide back and forwards. Hmm, patent pending methinks [Wink]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 08, 2006 02:31 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
Regarding Oklahoma I havent bought this one as I read somewhere that the quality of the Todd-AO as you mentioned is poor.
This is a newly released DVD of South Pacific out here, its a two disc Collectors Edition included are two versions of the film. The "Theatrical Version" 5:0 digital sound which is excellent, the other the "Roadshow Version" about 17min longer. The discs are Pal Zone 4. I am sure Zone 2 would be the same plus there are plenty of extras "The Making Of" etc.

Graham.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2006 03:24 PM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is that 2 disc special that I have came out in the spring of this year in UK.

--------------------
Regards,
David

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC